Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #1 
katmandew

moving betta to new home

I've inherited a betta fish from a family of a gentleman that passed away recently and I am planning on picking him up today. He's been living in a one gallon bowl for 8 months. My plan is to put his bowl inside a three gallon bucket with towels around it to cushion it and reduce as much movement as possible. It's only a one mile drive so I think that will work okay.

I know his water and bowl hasn't been cleaned in a month so I'm wondering if I should chance cleaning the bowl when I get him home? I'm afraid the move and cleaning the bowl would stress him too much and kill him. I want to do right by the little guy and eventually put him in a new home. I've already set up my old five gallon tank to start the cycling process and I seeded it with gravel and filter media from my established tank to help move it along. I still need to get a cave or something for him in the tank but I know it will take a few weeks to cycle so I have time.

The big question here is how to acclimate him to the new water conditions. I know the water he's currently in is only around 70 degrees and it's just tap water with some water conditioner. I have the heater in the five gallon tank set to 76. That's a big difference! I know even the slightest change in temperature can kill him. Any suggestions on how to do this?
katmandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #2 
Myates

Glad to hear the fish has someone who cares :) Good for the family who cared enough to find a single fish a home.

As for acclimating him to clean water - place him in a cup (such as the one they come in, usually Petco/Petsmart will give them away for free. Can probably also use a small tupperware container/butter container with a small hole in the lid). Use the water he is in currently for the water in the cup. Then clean out his 1g, rinse it out with hot water.

Fill it back up with the appropriate temp water + conditioner.. then float the cup he is in, in the tank. Float him for about 30 minutes.. every 5 minutes or so remove a small portion of water from the cup (dump it out, not back into the tank).. and then add in a small portion of water from the bowl. Repeat process at least 4-5 times.. that way he slowly adjusts to the new chemistry without worry about shocking him.

You are right in wanting to make sure he adjusts to the clean tank safely.. not having water changes for a while and then doing a large one can very easily kill the fish.

As for transporting.. he would actually be safer in a little cup than something bigger.. usually when shipping/transporting them you want to give them as little as possible, why you will see tiny bags being used. I would honestly just stop at a Petco/Petsmart on the way and pick up a betta container from them.. this way you have one for water changes while he is in the bowl and for transporting.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #3 
katmandew

Thanks for the reply :) I had to pick him up after work so the transport is done. It went really smooth since it was a short distance and I did as I stated, I put the bowl in a bucket and cushioned it with towels.

It may not have been the right thing to do but I did go ahead and clean his bowl and made the temperature 1 degree above what he was at. If he makes it then my real question is how to acclimate him to a higher temperature once he's ready to go into the five gallon tank which is set at 76. Should I do a partial water change each week and up the temp 1 degree until I reach the 76 which is what the tank will be? or should I just wait and acclimate him to the tank like you suggested which would be floating him?

I sure hope he makes it as I'm sure he's pretty stressed right now :( His fins don't look to good right now and haven't for a couple weeks and I know that because while his owner was in the nursing home I would go feed him once a day and I felt so bad for him. I think I need to find some pictures of fin rot. Again, thanks :)
Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #4 
Myates

Float him is the easiest way.. if you can get the tank up even higher that would be great, otherwise keep in mind 76 would be the lowest you would want him at.

If it is fin rot, then having clean water will help tremendously and he possibly won't need medication.. just do small water changes a couple times a week to keep him in clean(er) water.

Good luck! He has a chance now, so whatever happens know that you did your best. :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #5 
katmandew

Thanks again and will do :) If all goes well I'll do an update in a few weeks.