Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #21 
percyfyshshelley

I just bought 15 (3 males and the rest females for my new sorority) from AB plus I got s rescue last night from petsmart, to add to the 20 or so that I already have, so apparently nothing is stopping me......
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #22 
jadaBlu

I have 11 and it's taking 2 hours to do water changes. However, I think I am little slow and inefficient. I am hoping with a bigger tank this will improve. My husband is not crazy about the fish. I will suffice to say I am a 007 when it comes to fish. I never would have dreamed I'd find fish so hypnotic. The more recent set up will be in our living room with a couple tanks in the study. Room is not an issue which could be bad. Plus I hate seeing them suffer which has prompted me to get more than I intended. #11 I think will be blind in one eye.

I do have studio at ground level and near water but no fish in it. I hope to relocate them there after some flooring is installed and I get a new window and door. It's too breezy in the winter right now. I also have this shelf in there that I walked by the other day and thought hmmmm.....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...811/#/80071357

I am not sure it's sturdy enough but it sure occured to me. I think the thing about get alot of fish it that I don't think after a certain point you can build a relationship or monitor them closely enough. Sorry ramble on but I am sure thinking about this topic quite a bit.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 04-20-2013 at 03:25 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I have 11 and it's taking 2 hours to do water changes. However, I think I am little slow and inefficient. I am hoping with a bigger tank this will improve. My husband is not crazy about the fish. I will suffice to say I am a 007 when it comes to fish. I never would have dreamed I'd find fish so hypnotic. The more recent set up will be in our living room with a couple tanks in the study. Room is not an issue which could be bad. Plus I hate seeing them suffer which has prompted me to get more than I intended. #11 I think will be blind in one eye.

I do have studio at ground level and near water but no fish in it. I hope to relocate them there after some flooring is installed and I get a new window and door. It's too breezy in the winter right now. I also have this shelf in there that I walked by the other day and thought hmmmm.....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...811/#/80071357

I am not sure it's sturdy enough but it sure occured to me. I think the thing about get alot of fish it that I don't think after a certain point you can build a relationship or monitor them closely enough.
Totally encouraging more fish when I say this lol, but if you do a checkerboard pattern on that shelf I'm sure it could hold the weight if they were all 1.5-2 gallon fish tanks! I think that would be pretty cool actually.

I've got 12 Betta's at the moment and I love each and every one of them. I think the point that I would not be as personal with them would be over 100 full grown (not taking into consideration of breeding here). But this is just my opinion ^^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #24 
xShainax

Lack of room. I have Armand in the 29 gallon in a breeding trap since I have Wintergreen in the main tank.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #25 
Tonksy

1) My mother and my boyfriend would kill me.
2) Every inch of available space is covered in tanks (10 fish tanks of varying sizes.)
Tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #26 
bettafishfins

I don't know how I'd be able to divide my love!(and my mom would kill me)
bettafishfins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #27 
NozzALa

I have one right now, and I want to get one more, I just have to wait till I have a few extra bucks. I want to get a 3 gallon tank which is around 30 bucks, at least four plants which will probably be around another 20, a bag of gravel, and one or two decorations/hidey holes. Plus food, and the actual fish. The whole deal will probably set me back around 70-80 bucks, which isn't a huge amount, but I don't make a ton of money and will have to save for it.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #28 
Elsewhere

My mother... It's the only reason. I have funds AND space and time, but she has said "If you bring in one more fish, I will flush it plush three more." I was really mad when she said that... But what sucks is that I have 13- ten in a 30g sorority, one female waiting to be QTed and go in there, and two males in a divided 10g. That and 5 Cories being QTed in a 5g. But this leaves me with this in the end:

1 empty 10g
1 empty 5g
1 empty 2.5g
1 empty .5g
4 useless heaters
About $100 worth of gravel not being used
About $60+ of decorations not being used

And it's not like I don't care for them- I spend hours cleaning these tanks and chip in with the electrical bill for them :/ But she says no more, there's too much on my plate. Allow me to consider counting the things I do...

1. School
2. Homework
3. Babysitting
4. Dogs
5. Cat
6. Visiting kitten
7. Assignments
8. More babysitting
9. Fish
10. Social life
11. Chores

But to me, it's fine. I'm not tired or grouchy or evil or anything... I just really like fish! Sorry about the rant...
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #29 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Wow, do u have time to sleep, I thought I was busy with grad school + FT job. If u r teaching, will u do PhD?
I don't sleep much (3-4 hrs a night, with usually a 2 hr nap in the afternoon). Which is probably a good thing, because I have animals wanting constant love and attention. I am hoping to do a PhD. I am on my 3rd year of my MS in Sociology, but I already have an MBA in Marketing (I thought it would be fun, then realized... not so much when my first graduate classes were accounting and finance, and my BA is in Anthropology ) so that is why I can teach. I have almost enough classes to complete the PhD at this point, but I'm having trouble writing my thesis. Long story short, I picked the wrong major prof (not tenured, and thus was "let go") and the wrong method (interviews). I'm actually writing a dissertation proposal tonight to include in my application to PhD programs. It's not going so well .
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #30 
Melodica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Well, I have 13 now, and money is the big limiting factor- the setup is what gets you. That, and literally every free surface in my bedroom has fish on it.
This - except I only have 10.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote