Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Rescue Betta

Earlier this evening I stopped by work (I work at a pet store) to get some dog food. I always stop by the bettas to check them out and see how everyone's doing. The past few weeks I've noticed some bettas with some fin biting, but nothing too severe. Then today I saw a lot of dirty water, and bettas that just looked "off" I picked up a couple that looked "off" but couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. I put them back ( I wanted to take them home so badly, but I have no space). Then I noticed a purple VT that has no anal fin. I picked him up and he looked at me and pleaded "help me". I put him back, but he watched me as I began to walk away. I looked back at him and saw his pleading eyes "help me".

So... he came home with me. I think I found him a home once I fix up that fin. But, now I am tasked with fixing up that fin. He is in a 2.5 g, conditioned with Stress Coat + and about 1/4 IAL floating in the tank (he seems to really like the leaf). There doesn't appear to be any signs of fin rot, but I tested the water from his cup. The ammonia level was 4 on the API test chart once, and 8 on the test chart the second time. He might have some ammonia burns (I can't tell if it's his coloring or not) as well. He ate a couple NLS pellets tonight, I left a freeze dried bloodworm in the tank (he didn't show interested in the pellets, so I tried the bloodworm, then he became interested in the pellets) so he can eat that if he decides he wants to.

I don't want to name him (since I plan on adopting him out), but I've already started calling him Ranger. I don't know why, it was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw him.

Can you think of anything else I need to do?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #2 
registereduser

Remington Steele, my avatar betta, was missing half his anal fin. That's the only reason I bought him and look at him now! It took a few weeks. I also used stress coat (no salt). IAL will only help him more, wish I had some for him. I'm sure you will see new growth in just a few days!

Anyway, here is his "before" photo:

Last edited by registereduser; 12-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

I hope my guy colors out as beautifully as Remington Steele did. He looks spectacular compared to where he started.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #4 
registereduser

Thanks, I'm really happy he turned out so well. He's really active, too.

Be sure to take some before and after pictures of your guy!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Here is a picture taken of him about an hour ago, and the water parameters the first time I tested.

I talked with my manager at work today and told her about how bad his water was. She seemed concerned, so hopefully something will be done to promote a healthier environment for our bettas. The cups had been cleaned before I got there today.

He better grow that fin quick so I can send him to his forever home, I'm starting to get attached.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #6 
gbose

NeptsMom:

Please do daily 50% water changes. that ammonia level is torture for your fish!

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
NeptsMom:

Please do daily 50% water changes. that ammonia level is torture for your fish!

GBose
Oh sorry, I should've been clearer. That is the first time I tested the cup he came in. That isn't the water parameters he is living in now. It is at 0 ppm.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #8 
NeptunesMom

He made a bubble nest! I know that's not 100% a sign he's happy, but I'll take it for that. I'm starting to see regrowth, it's not much (I had to look REALLY close), but I'm starting to see it. He has been eating really well. He's had two days of NLS (he refused the brine shrimp I fed everyone else last night), and one day of Omega One and glassworms. He seems to be catching on too that I am the "food lady" and I'm not scary. Before he would hide from me, now he is swimming right up to see me.