Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #11 
luvsheidi

thanks for the help! im considering getting a snail now. is there a specific type of snail i would have to get? and also hes not that aggressive hes more laid back and thats really not typical for a betta but its nice.
luvsheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #12 
Elliriyanna

I got a mystery snail and they seem to do fine but maybe you can provide a more enriching environment?
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #13 
VJM

Nerite snails are great. They can't breed in freshwater, so you don't get ovverun with snails. Great algae eaters, and their shells come in all kinds of great patterns.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #14 
stellar981

I just got some Nerite snails last night for my two tanks. I never thought a snail would be exciting - but they are pretty neat. And as VJM said - they have awesome shell patterns! I really hope my bettas don't attack them :( I was going to get shrimp but figured they would likely be killed/eaten. I figured snails were safer because they have shells and move so slow. I don't even think my fish have noticed they are alive yet - hope it stays that way!
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #15 
SnowySurface

I've had nitrite snails in my 5 gallon tanks for about a week now. So far my bettas have been cool with them. But I did take the bettas out, rearrange the tank a bit, add the snail to each 5 gallon first, and then put back in each male back into his tank. I don't know if they think the snails are new decorations or something, but so far so good.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #16 
VJM

My guys will occasionally notice one and flare at it, and then just swim off. No biting or bullying. I think it is just entertainment.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #17 
Kels

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
I just got some Nerite snails last night for my two tanks. I never thought a snail would be exciting - but they are pretty neat. And as VJM said - they have awesome shell patterns! I really hope my bettas don't attack them :( I was going to get shrimp but figured they would likely be killed/eaten. I figured snails were safer because they have shells and move so slow. I don't even think my fish have noticed they are alive yet - hope it stays that way!

Did you QT them or just toss them in?
Kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #18 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels View Post
Did you QT them or just toss them in?
Sorry I just saw your message. I actually did not QT them, per the store's instruction. I did acclimate them though. All is well, except one of them (the single one in my 5 gal) has been spending a lot of time in his shell. He appears to be alive, I was told they do that? Either way, I was told they don't carry disease. I hope I wasn't misinformed...
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #19 
Nemobaby

I am a new fish person. My son moved out and I have a fish...well had a fish. Nemo was the most docil boy he loved to play. But I was having problems with algae so I went to the fish store and they said with a 5 gallon tank I could have a dwarf algae eater and a cat fish...well in the last couple days Nemo died and algae eater was playing around and 10 mintues later dead...So I have kitty fish who is a tiger who is still with me. I am so upset! I never would of done anything to hurt Nemo he was my fish buddy. Algae eater was so fun. So I need help here...I have been looking at what could cause in disease to kill my fish..maybe I fed too much..never heard of water control, so before I kill kitty can someone please help me. I miss Nemo!
Nemobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #20 
RussellTheShihTzu

First, welcome. Sorry about Nemo.

Did you cycle the tank before transferring Nemo and buddies? If not, search the forum for information on cycling to better understand what might have happened to them.

You could also start another thread so more people will see it and respond.

Again, sorry about Nemo.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
companion, compatibility