Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #641 
LittleBettaFish

That's the female. She is a nice red though. Male has a big bright green spot on his side.

With this complex I found the females are not too bland. They lack just a little less colour than the males.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #642 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
That's the female. She is a nice red though. Male has a big bright green spot on his side.

With this complex I found the females are not too bland. They lack just a little less colour than the males.
They look nice
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #643 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah. They are one of my favourite species. Odd thing with this species is that some mouthbrood and some bubblenest. My previous male used to mouthbrood while this male nests. Would probably be better if he held the eggs because then the female couldn't eat them!

This is the male. I think I have a juvenile from my previous pair but am still not 100% on identification as it has no spot.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #644 
Setsuna

Quote:
Yeah. They are one of my favourite species. Odd thing with this species is that some mouthbrood and some bubblenest. My previous male used to mouthbrood while this male nests. Would probably be better if he held the eggs because then the female couldn't eat them!

This is the male. I think I have a juvenile from my previous pair but am still not 100% on identification as it has no spot.
Wow so they are both mouthbrooder and bubblenester? Wtf oO? Lol
Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #645 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah, it isn't known what triggers some males to mouthbrood. Some think it's only a particular strain of brownorum that mouthbrood.

Betta rutilans are the same. My male has always held his eggs. I have never seen him build a bubblenest in his two years of spawning.

I wanted a male/female pair out of his offspring to see if it was a genetic or environmental trait.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #646 
Setsuna

I think mouthbrood frys are easier to care for and feed because when the male release the frys from his mouth they are big already no need to worry about fry food at young age
Old 04-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #647 
LittleBettaFish

Well with the bubblenesters that mouthbrood they aren't that much bigger because the eggs still hatch after a couple of days. I found that the male just cares for them a little longer than with my straight up bubblenesters.

Proper mouthbrooders hold for two weeks so the fry are a lot bigger. It is good because you can just go straight to BBS without worrying about anything else.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #648 
Setsuna

Quote:
Well with the bubblenesters that mouthbrood they aren't that much bigger because the eggs still hatch after a couple of days. I found that the male just cares for them a little longer than with my straight up bubblenesters.

Proper mouthbrooders hold for two weeks so the fry are a lot bigger. It is good because you can just go straight to BBS without worrying about anything else.
Thats true im trying to get some macrostomas later
Old 04-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #649 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I remember you saying about the macrostoma. My mum wants another pair so she is going to get some once the renovations are done and I have a proper area for my fish downstairs.

They are beautiful fish and have a lot of personality.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #650 
Wildbetta

My bubblenesters hold 3 weeks or just a little less, normally 17 days to 21 days. That has been the same with all 3 species I have gotten fry from. They easily take all forms of BBS (live, frozen, and decap) from day one which does make it easier.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote