Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #1 
KatPhish9

Question My New 10 Gallon Tank!!!

Hey all I just got a new 10 gallon tank. Im gonna move my betta male Vinny to that tank. I was just wondering how hard it would be to put live plants in there and what kind a betta fish would really like? I really want this tank to have the lost city of atlantic look so im planning on putting a lot of love and hard work into it. Ive just never had a tank this large or live plants so Im wondering if Im bitting off more then I can chew lol.

I'm also gonna introduce a few, 2 or 4, fish friends that will get along with vinny but I have not decided what kinds yet. any suggestions to go with the live plants?

Thanks All!
KatPhish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #2 
fishyinpa

Congrats on the 10 gallon! I cant help ya with live plants. i have fake silk ones haha. But they do like alot plants! As for tankmates,it all depends on the bettas personality. Stay away from tetras as they can be fin nippers. Anything like guppies,mollies not good tankmates. You can go with otos if you have alot algae or corydoras. I have 6 panda corys and i love em! Havent tried them with any of my bettas yet though haha...
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #3 
Nataku

Some good 'beginner' plants I've heard about that betta tend to like are Java Fern (microsorum pteropus), Java Moss (vesicularia dubyana) and Anacharis (egeria densa). These for the most part can get by with most any lighting you stick them in, even low light, and don't really require any great amount of fertilizing of C02 to live. For more detailed information about plants though, there's a whole subsection on these forums about freshwater aquarium plants, checking there will probably get you a lot more knowledgable help on this topic.

And I'll leave tankmates to someone else with more knowledge on that topics, as I keep my betta housed on their own, or in a 10 gallon divided tank with another betta on the other side, no other fish, frogs or shrimp.

Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #4 
Kim

I don't have a ton of time, so I'll just ask the most essential question ;) Are you planning to cycle the tank/ do you know how to cycle it?

I'd be happy to share my experiences with live plants and betta tankmates later.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #5 
veganchick

Kim has a point, most plants, and all fish prefer a cycled tank!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote