Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #91 
Mr2KiEu
Member
 
Mr2KiEu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, California
Does anyone have a White Spec III? If you do, can you post a pic. I'm thinking about getting the white version for my gf. Thanks!
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #92 
dc2die4
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Hi guys,

I put the biomax insert from my spec 2 in my spec v, question is, how long should I let it seed in there?its been about a day.
dc2die4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #93 
Otterfun
Member
 
Otterfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2die4 View Post
Hi guys,

I put the biomax insert from my spec 2 in my spec v, question is, how long should I let it seed in there?its been about a day.
At least 2-3weeks if your tank is fully cycled.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #94 
ModFish
New Member
 
ModFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Back compartment? Help Please.

I'm a newbie and decided to go with the Spec V based on all the awesome recomendations. Got my tank cycled and added 4 tiny white snails, few plants, and 2 cherry shrimp. Everything was great and ready for my new Betta to arrive, hopefully, next week. So sad, went on vacation for a week. When I returned home I noticed that the water level was so low in the back compartment, where the filter and pump is, that it exposed my submersible heater and therefore the heater burnt a hole in my new cover! I was gone for only a week and I made sure that the water level was pretty high prior to my departure. I was apprehensive about the self regulating heater the LFS sold me as I had it in for about 36 hours and it kept the tank a bit toasty at 85.6. Called the LFS, before I left, and they said that I can return it no problem. (Bought the Hydro adjustable 25w to replace it). I guess my big question is... Why would water deplete from that back compartment? Was the heater so high that it was the cause and effect? Does anyone else have this problem? Is it possible that the problem derives from the filter/pump problem? Should I trust the water? Not sure if the plastic contaminated the H2O. What would you do? What should I do? The two shrimp appear to be fine, one snail is active, maybe because it's late here and the rest are sleeping....not sure but will have a better snail count in the AM. Thanks for you advice.
ModFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #95 
Otterfun
Member
 
Otterfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I suspect something is blocking the intake hole, so the outflow continues but not being refilled by new incoming water, check if you might have a dead cherry blocking any vents into the 2 compartments and between the 2 compartments.

Now that's assuming that the front display tank section did not show the same drastic drop in water level. Otherwise, your tank may be leaking somewhere.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #96 
Mr2KiEu
Member
 
Mr2KiEu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModFish View Post
I'm a newbie and decided to go with the Spec V based on all the awesome recomendations. Got my tank cycled and added 4 tiny white snails, few plants, and 2 cherry shrimp. Everything was great and ready for my new Betta to arrive, hopefully, next week. So sad, went on vacation for a week. When I returned home I noticed that the water level was so low in the back compartment, where the filter and pump is, that it exposed my submersible heater and therefore the heater burnt a hole in my new cover! I was gone for only a week and I made sure that the water level was pretty high prior to my departure. I was apprehensive about the self regulating heater the LFS sold me as I had it in for about 36 hours and it kept the tank a bit toasty at 85.6. Called the LFS, before I left, and they said that I can return it no problem. (Bought the Hydro adjustable 25w to replace it). I guess my big question is... Why would water deplete from that back compartment? Was the heater so high that it was the cause and effect? Does anyone else have this problem? Is it possible that the problem derives from the filter/pump problem? Should I trust the water? Not sure if the plastic contaminated the H2O. What would you do? What should I do? The two shrimp appear to be fine, one snail is active, maybe because it's late here and the rest are sleeping....not sure but will have a better snail count in the AM. Thanks for you advice.

Water depleted from your tank due to evaporation. It's been hot here in the Bay Area the past week. Keeping your tank "toasty" at 85.6 degrees is too high IMO. I keep my betta tank at 78 degrees. Also depending on how many watts your old submersible heater is that could've contributed to the melting of your plastic cover. Is it a glass or plastic type heater? Personally, I would do a 2 gallon water change to be on the safe side.
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #97 
ModFish
New Member
 
ModFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
Water depleted from your tank due to evaporation. It's been hot here in the Bay Area the past week. Keeping your tank "toasty" at 85.6 degrees is too high IMO. I keep my betta tank at 78 degrees. Also depending on how many watts your old submersible heater is that could've contributed to the melting of your plastic cover. Is it a glass or plastic type heater? Personally, I would do a 2 gallon water change to be on the safe side.
What heater do you have and where do you house it? I would like to keep it hidden in the frosted glass chamber if possible.
ModFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #98 
Mr2KiEu
Member
 
Mr2KiEu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModFish View Post
What heater do you have and where do you house it? I would like to keep it hidden in the frosted glass chamber if possible.

I have a Aqueon pro 50w heater. I keep it in the same rear chamber as the return pump. Keep your tank temp at 78 degrees. And make sure to top off your tank with some water everyday to make up for the water evaporation. It's going to be hot in the Bay Area this week!
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #99 
Mr2KiEu
Member
 
Mr2KiEu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bay Area, California
FYI, Spec tanks are on sale at Petco again. Spec II is $44.99, Spec III is $52.87, and Spec V is $59.99. Awesome deal for these great tanks!
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #100 
Rilly10
Member
 
Rilly10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pottstown, PA
Does anyone have the Finnex FugeRay 16" light to use with their spec v? I am thinking of buying one to replace the stock light. Hoping I can use it with the cover though?
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which is better, fluval Chi or Spec? beacon Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 5 12-18-2012 08:58 AM
Fluval Chi vs. Aqueon Evolve vs. Fluval SPEC Cargo Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 26 05-29-2012 06:09 PM
New fluval spec set up PixelatedPaint Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 15 01-08-2012 11:12 PM
Fluval Spec owners do you have any problems with the pump stopping? Marieukxx Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 1 09-01-2011 11:35 AM
Fluval Spec TaylorW Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 16 10-26-2010 08:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.