Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #21 
Mahsfish

Yea the cadual is too rounded and not 180. Preferably it should reach 180. For the most part just the cadual is bad, but for me I'm not a huge fan of his colours. But that depends person to person.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #22 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
Is he flaring in the first pic? I would recommend picking one with a 180 spread, unlike this boy. I love CTPK, but I would go with one with a 180. My favorite is Pan. Good luck!
Yes, he's flaring in the first pic. He is still young, about 4 months, but I think that only affects his size anyway. I have to remember that 180 degree spread is best for form! I always forget that one, but something different stick each time I get advice on my boys.

Isn't Pan sweety? He really is sweet too. I bought him labeled as a 'female betta' & he spent a couple weeks in my sorority as Pandora. The girls followed him around & when they started showing egg bands & in one case dropping eggs I had to start wondering. He never tried to make an egg nest & showed no interest in the ladies. I'm not sure he'd spawn for me at all. I thought with his caudal being uneven on the end he might not be the best choice either.

@ Mahsfish, thank you again. I thought his top line looked a little funny, but after you posted those other pics I wasn't sure. No offense taken on his coloration not being to your taste. I think he's absolutely stunning myself. Like you said though, we all have our own tastes.

Ok, so if I want to use Hades my best choice for a mate for him would be a hmpk. I think I can get a lady for him from the same guy I am going to get Ra's lady from! Since I already plan on putting in a large order with them (I need more than 7 ladies for my 29 gallon sorority) I'll try and get on for each then.

Looks like I am down to these two males. Any suggestions on colors for the ladies? I'd just like to see what others might like. The one I was looking at for Ra was a pretty sold darker red color. Here's the boys in question again.

First Ra, than Hades
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #23 
crowntaillove3

True about the top of Pan's caudal. I would love to see Ra with a green or blue female. Or am I crazy? I think you might get a cool difference in colors and patterns. I'm not very experienced with this, I'm not experienced at all, actually, so I don't know how the color gene would work... Could someone back me up on this? But anyway, I think he might be great with one of your blues or greens. Good luck!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #24 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
True about the top of Pan's caudal. I would love to see Ra with a green or blue female. Or am I crazy? I think you might get a cool difference in colors and patterns. I'm not very experienced with this, I'm not experienced at all, actually, so I don't know how the color gene would work... Could someone back me up on this? But anyway, I think he might be great with one of your blues or greens. Good luck!
For both these boys I would have to buy a new girl. My girls are pretty and I love each one, but they are not going to work well here.

They've got a stickie that goes over color genetics. I've read it several times & will be reading it several more before I decide on anything. I've also started studying the breeding logs to see what others are doing. I'm still very interested in other opinions, what they think might or might not work, and what they'd like to see. I can't remember what a green or blue color combination with Ra might produce, but I think that was one of the color combos I was considering.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #25 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Don't mix ra with a blue. You would get red with blue wash or blue with red wash. Neither of their toplines are great but hades seems really funny. Ra's finnage is also better.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #26 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Don't mix ra with a blue. You would get red with blue wash or blue with red wash. Neither of their toplines are great but hades seems really funny. Ra's finnage is also better.
What do you mean when you say 'Hades seems really funny'? Are you meaning his top line, color, something else?

Ra is definitely the first one I will be working with. I've already been talking to a breeder about a lady for him. But since we should be moving house relatively soon any spawning will have to wait until we are settled. If you were going to breed Ra what kind of lady would you look for Matt?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #27 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would breed him to a hm with nice form. The color depends on what you want. Do not breed him to another dt. Do you see how hades topline spoons, arches, and then gets kind of lumpy? That's what I mean...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #28 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If hades is a giant geno, you could either breed him to a giant/king HMPK girl. . . . lots of culling if you want to improve form. . . . anyway pick the largest ones with the best fin spread and inbreed them. It might be may generations till you get what you want - size, color and form. If you're not prepared for that, I suggest you invest in a new giant pair all together, it's cheaper in the long run.

Ra is a fairly clean red cambodian. If you breed him to an irid, you may get his colors with various level of irids on body and fins, grizzle, cellophane, multi irid (irid with red fins or red wash). I doubt you will get any reds with irids, unless Ra has a strong red background. If Ra carries the NR genes, You can work yourself to whites. . . . It will be hard to clean both irid or red from your line (this is the main reason people prefer not to cross these colors).

If you breed him to a red (preferably a bright red - not cherry red), you should have cleaner red cambodians and or with various levels of red (some will still show irids on them). You should also produce bright reds, and if you're lucky perhaps yellow or orange (long shot unless one of them has a yellow/orange background).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #29 
justmel

Indjo, thank you for all the wonderful tips! A lot for me to look into & learn more from. I really don't mind the idea of working generation to get what I am looking for, but with that being said I am also looking into more giant & half giant bettas. If these others I end up getting look better than I'll work with them instead.

I'm not sure I understand what 'irid' is. I thought it meant iridescent, but I didn't think cambodian were iridescent. Ra is definitely iridescent. His body will look pink like in the pics, but if he turns he's blue (I'll post a pic showing this). I'm going to have to refresh myself on the difference between bright & cherry red, I think the one I was looking at was cherry red, but from what you've said I really think I want to find him a pretty irid HM lady with 8 rays or less.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #30 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I was wrong, Ra actually carries irid (yes irid = iridescent - turquoise/green, steel blue, or royal blue). The first picture didn't show his actual color. Due to his irids, I doubt he is from a red line.

Cherry red is the traditional dark red. It looks darker because it actually carries black pigments. By bright red, I meant blond red or red that has no black pigments.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote