Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #1 
crowntaillove3

Guppy Spawn Log

Hey guys! Today I got this female guppy FREE from my friend along with three fry from one of her previous spawns. I think she is pregnant, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I'm not sure when she mated, I don't know who the father is, but I just know that I'm super excited!!! Here is the proud mom with her gravid spot:

Name:  DSC00457.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  35.7 KB

Tell me what you guys think! I'll be keeping you posted on how she is doing and when they are born!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

yay! did you know that guppies can store sperm for up to 6 months? XD
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #3 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
yay! did you know that guppies can store sperm for up to 6 months? XD
And because of this, can be randomly pregnant whenever. LOL

(Which means, just because you have a male and a female, doesn't mean all of the babies will be his babies for a while.)
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #4 
crowntaillove3

That makes perfect sense. The other fry were born about five months ago (they aren't really fry anymore, but my friend took horrible care of them and they basically didn't grow for a long time) so the female must be realizing that it's now or never. Now I'm positive she is pregnant and I'm SOOOO excited! I already have plans for where the fry can go. Some to bryanacute, and some to my other friend (NOT the one who took bad care of the fry), and I'll probably keep some! :) I'll be sure to give you guys updates on her!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #5 
crowntaillove3

Problem. The female that I think is pregnant (Dalihla) is in a 2 gallon bowl with three mid sized "fry". It just dawned on me that she needs WAY more room when she gives birth. (if she even is pregnant. I'm still not positive.) I have two 2.5 gallons that came with dividers and they are occupied by my two bettas. I don't have room for five tanks, but I do have a tank that is about five gallons in my basement. All of the fish have to be kept in my room. Would it be possible to put the bettas in the 2.5 with the divider and the guppies in the newly emptied 2.5 and put Dalihla alone in the 5 gallon? I know it isn't good to keep bettas in that condition, but it would only be for a while. And is she really pregnant? If she isn't then I just avoided a huge problem. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #6 
crowntaillove3

Please answer! I'm trying not to rush you guys but I really need to know if that would be okay. And I need to know if she is pregnant. I still think she is but I'm not sure and I'm new at this. Please post ASAP. And the 5 gallon that I would put her in is a column. Would that be okay for her fry? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'm thinking you should give the fry away?
I'm not sure of any other solutions :P I threq 6 endler frys in mu uncle's ten gallon 9 months ago. I think he now has close to 100...
Old 04-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #8 
crowntaillove3

You mean give the three little ones away? I wouldn't be apposed to that... Can you tell the gender of the two in the pic?

Name:  DSC00458.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  37.2 KB
Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

the front one may be male. or it may simply too young to sex.
The one behind seems to be female due to the spot. :)

I meant to give the babies away when she gives birth.
Make sure you test your water. 2.5 gallons don't allow much room for error, especially if it's not cycled.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #10 
crowntaillove3

I will! And I have concluded that the one in the back is a female (the one with a spot) and the one in the front is a male. The other little one (I want to stop calling them fry because they aren't, they are just small) is a female. Here is a pic of the male:

I know it isn't the best quality, but he is a male. This was just to show you guys his size. He's in a standard sized betta cup (it kills me to call these things "standard sized). The males in my 15 gallon are the size of normal adults. Is he big enough to be acclimated and put into the 15 gallon tank?

Name:  DSC00226.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  27.6 KB