Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #11 
homegrown terror

they should be fine short-term, but why pass up the opportunity for...MORE BETTAS!?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #12 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
they should be fine short-term, but why pass up the opportunity for...MORE BETTAS!?
Because the tank is cycling, so I wanted to put a minor, minor bioload on it. Sorry to people who don't believe in fish-in cycling, but I had really good success with my Evolve 4, so I think I can do it fine with a 30 gal. Just means lots of testing and water changes.

That and I do plan on putting more fish in, but was thinking other species. Was thinking 10 Tetras, and some sort of good fish for picking up stuff off the bottom.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I love Dwarf Cory cats! Cutest things every and great for kicking things up off the bottom. They look like little airplanes when they swim haha and my girls get along great with them. In my 33 I have 6 girls at the moment, 6 dwarf cories, 7 neon tetras and 1 BN pleco. Everyone's doing great :D
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

This MIGHT be fine but keep in mind that these are unpredictable and you could have happy and peaceful bettas one day and a dead betta the next. IMO you should have waited until you could set up a proper sorority.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #15 
DefStatic

Oh, I know I jumped the gun without reading everything I should. I knew I could keep females together, but I did not know there was a minimum amount recommended.

What is it I should look out for?

I have seen some flairing once in a while, and some really short chases. Never any fighting during feeding. If they aren't doing their own thing, they will just be hanging out together side by side. I haven't seen any actual signs of nipping.

Eventually the plants will be larger, and I will have a piece of driftwood in there, and some moss.

I understand what is happening now is not the norm, and it can go bad quick. But I also understand that even with 4 or more females, it can go bad.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #16 
DefStatic

So far so good. They actually have seem to bonded even further, although I am not going to jynx it. I have watched them play follow the leader, and more often than not seem them just hovering together.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #17 
carbonxxkidd

I would think because you have a larger tank that they should be fine - there should be plenty of spots where they can get away from each other. I have a heavily planted 29g sorority with platys, otos, corys, and amano shrimp and have never had a problem. I've even just tossed in a new female and the other girls barely noticed her. Definitely suggest getting a few more once the tank is cycled, but with lots of hiding spots you should be just fine. Can't wait to see pics!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #18 
DefStatic

One of my cats is going to be the major problem. I have three cats. One would never try to get on top of the aquarium, the other just like to look, but the third has been on top of the aquarium several times already, despite my constant attempts to thwart this behavior.

I need to have a piece of glass or plexiglass cut for the back section of my hood, where the accessories are allowed to hang. I have most of it covered with various objects at the moment, but there is still an opening by the HOB filter and air line splitter. I have noticed one of my fish likes to rest right there by the surface, and caught my trouble cat spying there.

Once i have the driftwood and new light in place, I will take pics.