Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #11 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevko View Post
Get a 5-10gal and a heater with maybe a small filter, sponge would be good, and some floating plants and they'll be happy. I've got six males in a ten with that and they seem to like it. ... When they're not harassing each other, lol. But they seem to have calmed down.
+1
When I'm actually trying to raise them, I basically treat my guppy fry the same as my adults, with the only major difference being that I crush the food into a size they can manage and feed them more often. Otherwise, they seem to do really well just grazing on whatever they can find when loose in the tank with the adults (granted, this tank is well planted and has been established for nearly a year - so there's lots of places for the fry to hide and a healthy amount of algae and other stuff for them to munch on at their leisure).
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #12 
Skyewillow

She doesn't quite look pregnant to me, or if she is, it's really early.

We added a bunch of fake plants in our tank to raise them in the parents' tank, it's a lot less stressful on all of us, and the parents do their own culling of any sickly ones.

Your babies will be fine in there, they won't stress mom out at all, plus, guppies don't like being alone.

Have you tried contacting a pet store to see if anyone would take them in? I would take them, but my fiance is trying to get out of fancies and into commons. >_<
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #13 
pittipuppylove

Another thing you can do with the younger ones is see if you know anyone who keeps larger, more aggressive fishes - as morbid as it sounds, any fry I get anymore go to a coworker who keeps cichlids and uses my fry as feeders. It's a win-win in that my tanks don't get overrun and he gets free feeders that are fed a quality diet and are from a healthy tank.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #14 
Skyewillow

We use our African Clawed Frogs for the same thing. Sometimes the bettas would get them, before we put the bettas and guppies together.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #15 
crowntaillove3

I don't really have the means to get a 5 or 10 gall right now... I have a hurricane-like tall glass that would be about that size. Would a tall tank be okay for fry?
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #16 
crowntaillove3

Btw check out my "Guppy Spawn Log" for more info about them! :)
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote