Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #1 
bniebetta

If I find one more....

pond snail I will lose my mind. I can't wait to get my girls in their sorority tank so that they can obliterate them. I know it is my fault that I have them for not using a potassium permanganate dip for the first few that I got, but I didn't have access to any and I needed to put them somewhere.

What I don't understand is why most places that sell plants keep them in a tank full of snails. My LFS owner told me that algae happens when water params are off, not because you have a planted tank. I know that many plants some with snails on them, but if I was a plant supplier I would take steps to make my stock snail free. So I really don't get why this is a problem, when most aquarists prefer not to have an animal that will just crap everywhere and do hardly anything for the tank.

Grr.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

we literally had to crush them and remove any and all egg sacks for almost 2 months before we finally got rid of ours. We even blanched our fake plants and driftwood to make sure we caught all of the eggs.

I wish you the best of luck!!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 
RiceFish

get an assassin snail :) they eat other snails including pond sails

some people actually like pond snails as long as they don't overpopulate the tank, they can help clean
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yep I have pond snails to from my plants. I do think most of us fear they will get out control and we will get to many in our tanks , I know I did when I first had them. What I do now is when I do my water changes I take out a few out and try not to worry so much about it...lol That seems to have kept them under control and also try and make sure your fish eat the pellets you give them and take out any that are not eaten and I feed my guy one at a time to make sure he eats it before he gets another one. The reason for this is so there are no leftovers for the snails to eat.

You could try the trick I have heard of, take a clean soap free jar and put a piece of some veggie inside it like and place it in the tank overnight and the next morning take it out and there should be lots of snails in the jar eating the veggie.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #5 
bniebetta

I will so try that trick!! Will an assasin snail eat my nerites? they are very large but i dont want them to get harmed...
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #6 
RiceFish

hmm if there is only one assassin snail and the nerites are big then you should be fine but each snail has its own personality. I would go with Perseusmom's method if you don't want to risk it.
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote