Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Where to get Aquarium silicone in large size-preferably "gun" size

So far I am only finding it in small tubes by Dap that specifically say it's aquarium safe. I've seen 100% silicone by GE at Home Depot which I hear 100% silicone is aquarium safe. However, even though the GE is waterproof it says it can only be submerged for 2 hours. I am willing to buy it online but I'd really like to to get some in the hardware store and I want to set up my divided tank this week while I am off from school and work. I am gluing glass to glass. (I've decided I prefer to reduce water contact between fish.)Any product suggestions are really appreciated.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 04-22-2013 at 05:23 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

I use Loctite Silicone waterproof sealant. It's marked aquarium safe. A 2.7 fluid oz tube costs about $4.50 at Lowe's.

The back of the tube gives directions for aquarium building and repair. It does say that it's not recommended for tanks greater than 30 gal or with more than 18" in water height.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #3 
JellOh

GE silicone is perfectly safe as long as you get the one for windows and doors. Many people, myself included, use it. They have another one, for bathrooms I believe, that isn't safe because of the chemicals used to keep mold from growing on it.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote