Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #1 
LouiMon

Exclamation I feel so guilty... It's gonna be a long night :(

I'm now just under five weeks into my cycle and I and being the naive person I am, I decided to go for a fish-in cycle.

I've been testing and keeping the everything in check with water changes. I no longer have any ammonia, but my nitrites have been spiking up to 1.0 quite quickly.

Well tonight I tested and they maxed out the test! :(

He's acting normally, swimming and eating just fine, but I'm so worried that the water is hurting him :(

I just did a 50% and I plan to do another in an hour and continue doing that until it's in a safe range.

Should I give him a large dose of Prime to help for the few hours it'll take?

I would do a larger water change, but all I have is a five gallon pale and all stores are closed.

I feel so bad for being stupid enough to put him through this :(

Help?
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #2 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiMon View Post
I'm now just under five weeks into my cycle and I and being the naive person I am, I decided to go for a fish-in cycle.

I've been testing and keeping the everything in check with water changes. I no longer have any ammonia, but my nitrites have been spiking up to 1.0 quite quickly.

Well tonight I tested and they maxed out the test! :(

He's acting normally, swimming and eating just fine, but I'm so worried that the water is hurting him :(

I just did a 50% and I plan to do another in an hour and continue doing that until it's in a safe range.

Should I give him a large dose of Prime to help for the few hours it'll take?

I would do a larger water change, but all I have is a five gallon pale and all stores are closed.

I feel so bad for being stupid enough to put him through this :(

Help?
Try not to worry! I do fish-in cycles all the time....check the water after your next water change and see how it is. I noticed you're in Ontario! So am I!!!
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 
HeroicPoison

:O Fellow Canadians!!!!
I have been having a hard time finding people from Canada XD

I had to go away for a few days, my tanks didnt quite need water changes yet... so i added a few drops of prime to hold them over for those few days so I could do it when I got home
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #4 
sareena79

Im doing a fish-in cycle with mine as well. so far so good. Im trying very hard to keep him clean and comfy. he seems pretty content other than being annoyed by me poking strips in his water and doing partial changes lol
my buddy got a fish from the same breeder as me and no matter how much I nag him hes not wanting to test his water or do the needed changes. hes old-school like that. Im really worried about his fish. He thinks b/c it looks clean it must be clean. hes a hard-headed stubborn mule and I hate knowing that the fish will suffer b/c of that :(
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #5 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
Im doing a fish-in cycle with mine as well. so far so good. Im trying very hard to keep him clean and comfy. he seems pretty content other than being annoyed by me poking strips in his water and doing partial changes lol
my buddy got a fish from the same breeder as me and no matter how much I nag him hes not wanting to test his water or do the needed changes. hes old-school like that. Im really worried about his fish. He thinks b/c it looks clean it must be clean. hes a hard-headed stubborn mule and I hate knowing that the fish will suffer b/c of that :(
You're going to have to sneak into his place and do some covert water changes....
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #6 
bniebetta

Do you have API QuickStart or Stresscoat? or Seachem Stability? All of those additives might help you out
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi there dont feel so bad I did a fish in cycle and it all went well and sounds like you are staying on top of it and doing it safely. Here is the link to Prime and down at the bottom of the page under directions it says you can safely add up to 5 times the amount in a emergency for high nitrites.

Seachem. Prime
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #8 
LouiMon

Thanks for the tips everyone. I did two 50% changes last night and one more this morning and his parameters are looking good again.

You have all been so helpful this last month. Walter and I are both very grateful :3
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Water changes always help :)Those link might be helpful too.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #10 
lovemyfish99

Hi LouiMon,

Salt. It only takes .1 % salt to protect the fish from brown blood disease, which is what they get from high nitrites. It will go down when the cycle is complete. Don't use any salt with a caking agent though, kosher is fine.
lovemyfish99 is offline   Reply With Quote