Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #11 
Nicci Lu

Thanks guys! I like the idea of attaching fake leaves to the bottom. I'll have to see how it looks.

The moon rock cave is pretty cool, but I have plenty of caves at the bottom. The problem is that anything at the bottom gets used by my kuhlis, and I need something higher up that my betta can feel secure in.

The floating cave idea: I had actually considered just getting the floating betta log, but discarded the idea after I read reviews that the paint flakes off. My other concern, and this would apply to the floating craft mesh idea as well (which is a good one, BTW), is that it would get moved around by my HOB filter too much. I'm still working on baffling it properly, but even once I get the current fairly mild, I still wonder how much it would move around the tank. LittleBlueFishlets- if you have current, do you find this to be the case?

@Blue Fish- I already bought the java moss, so fake is a no go. I actually have some of those tumblers- I made a cave for my other tank by sawing the end off, but that one rests on the bottom and is covered with gravel.

@jadaBlue- I think I'm becoming an expert at sanding items for the tank, lol. Before I got real plants, I once spent two hours sanding the edges of silk plant leaves because I discovered that they snagged pantyhose.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

I don't have filters - but the mesh tubes are so light that my fish can push them. Miami doesn't seem to like it when his tube is against the glass. He swims through, then angles his body down which causes it to drift away from the side.

Maybe you could use a suction cup to hold it in place. Or if you put moss on it, the extra weight might keep it from moving so much.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #13 
Artemis

What about the PetCo floating logs? http://www.petco.com/product/105898/...t=OnSiteSearch

They have them in a small size and a larger one. Plus it floats so the loaches won't steal it for themselves

Or these: http://www.petco.com/product/121993/...Supplies_Decor

Last edited by Artemis; 04-18-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #14 
jesssan2442

I have floating tubes made of craft mesh in my filtered 5gs both of my bettas love them, they did get moved around by the current quiet a bit but after I moved them next to a tall plant that reached the surface, they don't move unless the fish moves it (which they seem to enjoy doing)
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #15 
Nicci Lu

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the cave free floating. I can always add the suction cups later if it doesn't work, but my frogbit should keep it somewhat stable.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote