Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #1 
Sens

Unhappy Mortified....

Hi Everyone!
I only recently purchased a Betta and am so totally in love with him!

Anyway today I went to a certain pet care chain store that will remain nameless ... I was looking at the Betta's in the tiny horrid little cups and noticed about 7 out of 12 of them were dead... not just dead but dead in yellow/brown slimy water...
I was mortified... it's horrid! I told one of the clerks on checkout and his reply was ''Well that's probably likely yeah.. someone will see them''

It looked like they had been there for days...I also noticed dead goldfish too just floating in the tanks...

Should I report this to the BBB or something?

Thanks!
Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #2 
Nataku

Hello and welcome to Fish Forum!

You can report anything you like to the BBB, whether or not it will ever help is a totally different matter. Unfortunately many large chain pet stores are often like this, and I do believe just about every member of this forum could tell you some horror stories about what we've seen at stores. Alas, this is nothing new, and there is very little the pet store employees ever do to clean up their act. Most of them are simply far too lazy and couldn't care less about the fish (most of them have no idea to take care of them anyhow, they're much more interested in the puppies, bunnies and ferrets).

Generally speaking one of the best things you can do when see stores like this which have such poor conditions is simply to no longer shop there and look elsewhere for your fish and supplies. The loss of business and profit means far more to the store and chain than a complaint, filed with the BBB or otherwise.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #3 
JingleAllTheWay

Excuse my ignorance...what's the BBB?
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Better Business Bureau.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #5 
Nataku

^What DramaQueen said
Start With Trust -- Start With BBB
They are an organization which exists to help improve the standards of which companies do business with people. Well, that's the idea anyhow. Unless there are very serious, numerous complaints against a business, generally along the lines of their negligence causing harm to a human, they don't really do much. Dead fish rarely rank anywhere near important enough on their scale to do anything about. You aren't eating these betta, you can't get sick from them, so their loss is of no great concern to the views of the BBB.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #6 
dukie1346

Yeah, it's pretty bad to see all of those poor fishies being tortured like that. I think if they gave the fish more room, more would probably find homes. The more beautiful they look, and clean as well, the more people will look at them.
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 PM   #8 
Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
Hello and welcome to Fish Forum!

Thanks for the welcome and the good advice.. .I know they (the bbb) probably won't do anything...

Sens is offline   Reply With Quote