Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #11 
Varsettie

Changed the water and he's looking much happier now but the red sore is still just as big as before. He's much more active now than he was yesterday.
Varsettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #12 
Varsettie

Okay, so. The E.M medicine didn't really do anything. The red stopped for a day and they started growing again. I took him in to Big Al's and they said they have no idea what's wrong with him or what he has. they gave me T.C. Tetracycline to try as a lasted ditched effort. After that there's nothing I can do to help him.

Strangely enough he's not exhibiting any signs of being sick. He's still eating all of his food, he's stil dancing when he sees my other bettas, he is still flaring at them too. The only thing wrong is that weird red colour that's spreading all over him. It looks like his scales are changing colours and not much else is happening :/
Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #13 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Maybe it's just marbling like the others said?
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #14 
Varsettie

I've just taken a look at marbling bettas and it sort of looks like what he's got. But he is losing scales where his are turning red, is that normal for marbling?

It might actually be marbeling then. It sort of looks like this here

But his is like, blood red. the other issue is that it's started on his dorsal fin and the red parts of his dorsal fin seem to be going red on the spines but translucent on the webbing in between?

Last edited by Varsettie; 04-23-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #15 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsettie View Post
I've just taken a look at marbling bettas and it sort of looks like what he's got. But he is losing scales where his are turning red, is that normal for marbling?

It might actually be marbeling then. It sort of looks like this here

But his is like, blood red. the other issue is that it's started on his dorsal fin and the red parts of his dorsal fin seem to be going red on the spines but translucent on the webbing in between?
Nope, it's probably not marbling then... the fish wont lose scales during marbling...
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #16 
Varsettie

Well he's still alive and eating, no clamped fins and he's not lethargic. I have no idea whats wrong with him. He seems fine aside from the red stuff on him. The T.C. Tetracycline doesn't seem to be doing anything aside from turning the water amber-red.

I'm clueless.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #17 
Alcemistnv

You can always message one of the moderators, particularly Sakura
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #18 
Varsettie

That may be my only option left at this point.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Hi Varsettie and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your guy.

I couldn't see too clearly from the pics (it's so hard to take pics of these guys, isn't it?) but from your description, he has a spot on him that is a lighter red than the rest of him, sort of like a sore? In the pic, it looked like a light red patch on his head?

Is the patch raised at all? Does it seem shiny, fuzzy, or dull colored?

Has he been doing any darting or rubbing on anything or clamping of his fins?

Marbling is definitely a possibility, especially because of his age. Your boy is quite an old man, since their average lifespan is 1-3 years. Due to his advanced age, he may have become a little stressed at the changes in his tank during your absence and decided to change colors on you.

For the moment, I would recommend finishing the course of Tetracycline since it's never a good idea to stop an antibiotic in the middle of treatment. However, I can tell you that if he did have a bacterial disease, Tetracycline wouldn't have helped. 99% of the bacterial diseases our fish get are gram negative bacteria and Tetracycline only treats gram positive.

Once you've finished the course, do as big a water change as you can and add carbon to your filter; the carbon will remove the remaining medication from the water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #20 
Varsettie

It doesn't look fuzzy or cloudy or anything, it just looks like his scales are changing colours in certain places, the issue is that he's rubbing some of them off and he's never lost scales before. I've treated him with both e.m erythromycin and t.c. tetracycline and neither did anything. I know you said the tetracycline wouldn't have helped but if not that the e.m erythromycin should have dome something, right? ;n;

He's acting pretty much normal again, although I woke up this morning and now he has a new red spot on his other side. It's still very small but I'll have to keep an eye on it to see what it does.

As for his behavior, he's swimming around and trying to fight the zebra snails. He's flaring like he normally would at my finger, he's still eating everything I feed him and he's not clamping his fins now that he's back home in his usual tank. In the Vid he was in my 20 gall to use the light to take better pictures of him if I could. I have another male and a female and when I put them next to his tank he does what he's supposed to - flaring, dancing, being a fruit.

The Tetracycline I had to gently end early though as it was turning his water blood red even with the 50% water changes I ended up doing, and he was looking very upset. Now that his water is clear he's back to being a goof.

Tags
betta, disease, help confused, sick fish