Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #1 
ThePearlFish

Question New Here, some ques.

Hi, I'm new here, although not necessarily to Bettas. I've had them when I was little and recently kept a Betta named Pearl for about nine mos. before he passed away after a long battle with fin and tail rot.

My friend was going to give me a Betta for my B-day in a few mos. cus her college has Betta's at her Bio. dept. and she always asks me if I can take an occasional creature after the school year or semester is over.

I've been reading a lot about care for Betta's here and different threads about care and other tank companions, and I was planning on having a setup in a 20 gal. long tank i have here with the betta, 2 african dwarf frogs and maybe either a small school of corys or kuhlie loaches.and MAYBE two apple snails (debating adding that one).

My Ques. are:

1. what is the number of creatures i can have in the 20g long min-max without it being overcrowded due to decorations in the tank and size of animals/ quantity as well?

2. as I can understand all of these animals can do well eating brine shrimp, bloodworms mainly, even tho kulies can be omnivorous and corys can maybe be omnivorous (correct?) any other foods that can be given for variety that wont harm another creature if eaten?

3. anything else i should kno?

4. what is the best type of heater? (brand?) and what is the ideal temp. for all these creatures in this set up i mentioned to set it at so some critters are not uncomfortable more than others?

i know whisper filter would give a nice low pressure flow and will help with less cleanings. and they all (the creatures i want) have similar needs so it should not be tooo complicated to keep them together. and to watch out for creatures that are picking on others.

If i think of more ques. ill post them as they come to mind, if you all don't mind. i would like to be more successful at keeping aquarium critters than i have been in the past and would like to do it the best i can.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #2 

Were it me,(and it ain't) I would go with kuhli loaches four or five. African dwarf frogs don't see so well and sometimes they have difficulty finding food.Four corys could work also but in my view you will need to decide which ,Corys,or kuhli's ,they will both not work cause one group will outcompete the other group for food. Agood quality flake food for omnivores along with the foods you mentioned would suit all. I also highly recommend.. Flukers,freeze dried Daphnia found in reptile section at some pet stores such as Petco. Many fish ,including bettas enjoy this food. PS Great! that you are giving betta large home.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #3 
FishGirl

I have had a betta with african dwarf frogs and they got together really well. If your betta acts agressive towards the frog at first don't worry, the frog will teach him a quick lesson in manners. I did have a problem feeding the frog food and had to buy goldfish sinkers and literally aim for his head in order for the frog to realize there was food in the tank. (recommended by the fish store and it actually worked) The frog will need a good place to hide also. I have also heard that large tanks might be too high for the frog to get to the surface all the time for air and your ph has to be really low for frogs? The loaches are very agressive for food, so you may have a problem getting your frog any food at all since the loaches will probably suck it all up before the frog even realizes it is there. My betta is currently in a 7 gal tank now with an apple snail and a small oct. algea eater and is very content. Betta's like warmer temps so any heater for the capacity of a 20 gal, should be fine. I think I heard that white clouds do well with bettas, but you might want to search out tank companions as I understand no fancy fin fish will work. Oh yes, my betta loves any live food that I put in the tank (brine etc,) . That's his favorite, but he won't eat bloodworms at all. You'll have to experiment with the food.
FishGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #4 
ThePearlFish

Okay, i will consider everyones good points, I dunno what i am going to do yet, but thankfully my tank is long not tall so if i do decide about getting frogs then it would be okay for them to get to the top easily, hmm, tough decisions lol.

any suggestions about a nice heater?

~TPF
Old 04-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #5 
ThePearlFish

So, I decided that I am going to get 6 Corys for my tank in addition to the Betta. I just have not decided 100 % on the ADF's yet. I also do not know of a reputable place they might be found either.

~TPF