Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #1 
idontknow

Exclamation Please please someone answer me

ok so, my boyfriend has asked me to watch his betta fish for him while hes on vacation for a week with his family. (actually its his little sisters fish)
I have never owned a fish and I have no idea what to do. Some forums have scared me because a) they say that left over food at the bottom of the tank can kill the fish and b) if you do not use the light on the tank the fish will die.

my bf and his family never ever turn on the light except for feeding time only and then right after they turn it off. (his sister has a phobia of the fish burning) and I fed it last night but it refused to eat it so food is at the bottom of the tank since last night. I have no idea what to do and I'm freaking out.

some info:
I feed it 4 pellets twice a day (morning and night) (aqueon betta food)
I have two both in separate tanks
they are located on my kitchen counter where the only light they get is sunlight.

thanks for reading it is greatly appreciated
idontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Uneaten food left on the bottom of the tank or bowl will dirty the water, which can make your fish sick. You can use a turkey baster to pick up uneaten food. That's what I do.Is the betta in a tank or bowl? If you have a thermometer, you can monitor the water temp while the light is on. If it gets too warm, you can turn the light off. If he's not eating, it could be from being moved from your bf's house to yours. There may be a difference in temperature.I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #3 
idontknow

thank you a lot. the fish is in a tank. and i've never thought of a turkey baster before. thanks (:
Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're welcome. Get one to use specifically for the tank, not one you'll use for food.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #5 
idontknow

btw it does not have a heater, should I be concerned? I'm sorry a being such a pest and asking so many questions I just don't want to call my boyfriends fish, and I feel bad for the fish as well.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would just keep it in the warmest room in the house. If the water temperature gets really cold then I'd be concerned. What sized container is he in?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #7 
idontknow

i think its like around a 2 gallon.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Three of mine don't have heaters and their water temperature stays around 74 and they are ok.Mine are in an upstairs bedroom.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #9 
idontknow

thanks a whole lot. maybe i'm just overreacting, but It would just break my heart to see them die, they're so pretty and innocent. thanks for all the advice its very much appreciated. If i could give you a trophy for best member I would. :D
Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol Thank you! Good luck with them. Feel free to ask more questions if you need to. There are plenty of people here to help. :)