Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #1 
DizzyD

New 2.75g bowl, HELP!

I just received my new 2.75 gallon bowl. It wasn't cheap but I really wanted something 2 or more gallons that I could put Cpt. America in and have a nice planed tank. I don't have room for my 5 gallon since I got my 20 long and I have some fish that arn't so beta friendly in there

I have a hydor under substrate filter 7.5 watts. I'm planning to get either black sand or black floramax.

I'm trying to decide on filtration, yay or nay? I was thinking about getting a small sponge filter, but I'm not sure if its necessary.

Also, What low light plants would do best in a small setup like this? Obviously Java fern, Maybe some anubius, maybe on a small piece of driftwood? I like the grass looking plants too. Maybe some that could grow out of the water? Suggestions?

Will I need a top for this tank? I know with the labrynth organ betas need warm humid air so I'm guessing its a good idea. I was thinking about doing a custom acrylic lid, But that would knock out the amphibious plant Idea.

For light, I was planning on rigging up a LED that I already have. But the tank already sits under a Daylight bulb next to my night stand so the LED would just be for viability.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting here? Tank/bowl, heater, substrate, filtration, plants, hood and lighting. I think that covers everything.

I will attempt to post some pics once the project is underway, but my connection is pretty bad so I can make no promises...
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #2 
mushumouse

a thermometer. :p a lid is a good idea, just because bettas will sometimes jump out of bowls without them, but there needs to be some air getting in there somehow too (you could cut a hole for your hypothetical plants to grow out of). you definitely don't NEED a filter, but i'd go with a sponge filter if you use one in such a small tank- i didn't realize how much my betta was getting knocked around by my filter until i changed to a sponge. i'll leave the plants to someone with a greener thumb, lol.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #3 
DizzyD

My concern with the filter is even with a sponge filter the bubbles move the water quite a bit. I don't think he really likes it. I currently have him in a 1 gallon with an under gravel filter that works similar to the sponge filters and I don't think he likes it. I turned off the air for a few days, and he started blowing bubble nests, but as soon as I turned on the air again, and I have it on the lowest setting possible, he stopped blowing the nests and stays towards the bottom. Maybe the bigger tank will not transfer so much current and he will like it better and if I plant it well, that could help too!
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #4 
mushumouse

well, especially if you're going to plant it heavily there really is no need for a filter if he seems happier without one! as long as you keep up on water changes which really aren't too bad at all with live plants. with a sponge filter you can cut the air line and put a little valve in that lets you restrict the airflow, but it still does bubble at the top a little bit, so if that bothers him now it would still bother him then. some people float plastic rings, like children's toys, around the place where the air comes up to "baffle" the sponge filter and keep the surface from being disturbed outside of the ring if you'd really like to have one.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #5 
DefStatic

Moneywort or Bacopa Carolina
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote