Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #1 
Adnamac

Repurpsing an old 10g.

So I recently discovered an old ten gallon tank buried in my basement. This tank was used to hold mice years ago, but hasn't seen anything alive in it in years (at least 5 or 6).

As long as it holds water and receives a good proper scrubbing/cleaning, is there any reason I couldn't reuse it for more fish?

How do you think would be the best way for me to really clean it well to reuse it?

As always, thanks! Still gaining my footing here and with betta keeping, so I'm full of questions!
Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #2 
bniebetta

Someone here told me that most memebrs have reused old tanks. All of mine but one are used ones I got here and there. To clean. You can use 10% bleach solution. Scrub and soak. Or you can use vinegar, much gentler if you are worried. Either way, rinse until you can't smell the cleaner anymore, and then rinse again. Do NOT use household cleaners. You can get tough spots with a razor blade or algae scrubber. :)
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #3 
crowntaillove3

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it for a fish AS LONG AS it gets a proper cleaning. I would suggest using the vinegar bniebetta mentioned.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Steel wool is amazing for getting the tough scum off the sides. I would use vinegar, bleach, or boiling water, but you shouldn't have problems anyways. Most aquatic diseases die when they dry.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #5 
bniebetta

Just pay attention to what it is made of. (You might have already mentioned this, I don't remember) If it is plastic, It will scratch easily so be careful. Glass though is pretty hard to scratch
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #6 
Adnamac

As always, thanks for responses!

Nope, forgot to mention it's a glass tank! Guess now it's just time to pull out the viniger and get to work on a good cleaning!
Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

You can also use Clorox as a safe cleaner. Just rinse it well, and use extra water conditioner if you are really worried. The majority of the Clorox will evaporate when it dries, and any left over will be taken care of by your water conditioner. The ingredients in Clorox are the same as what is used the treat your tap water, so when you're removing the chlorine and chloramines, you're removing Clorox-like chemicals.

I like to use Clorox because it will kill more than the vinegar, and letting it sit out in the hot sun for a week or so after cleaning will *really* get it stripped of pathogens. :) Just about nothing can survive that. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote