Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #1 
Indefinitive

Is there such thing...?

So, I'm trying to cycle my tank with my Betta. I've considered moving him to a smaller, temporary tank, but that isn't an option, since I can't find a way to heat it. It gets down to 63 here during the night (our heat has been broken for months... since December. O_O; ) , and the heater is too big for smaller tanks.

I've decided to try to stay ahead of the nitrite and do lots and lots of water changes to dilute it. I've been changing out about 25% three times a day to stay on top of it. Once when I wake up, once before I go to work for the evening, and once between when I come home from work and when I go to sleep.

I make sure to keep the temperature relatively the same, and I always make sure to use a water conditioner. I test three times a day to make sure that the ammonia and nitrite levels are okay, after I change the water.

I'm trying to be really careful to keep ahead of the nitrite, but I've heard on the internet that too many water changes can stress him out. I want to keep Gregory healthy, but if I'm stressing him out, I might just create another problem.

Is this okay, or should I find another way?
Indefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #2 
Chicklet

Stressing the fish, depends on the fish,,
My fish have grown to know the routine and love it,,
The biggest stress in my opinion
Is by Removing the fish from his tank using a net,

Best is to keep him in the tank, remove the water ((not all of course :) and replace it slowly and gently so as to not stir up the water..
If you have to remove him, Do it gently using a cup or even the small container you bought him in, This way is far better then the net as he never leaves the water,, and be patient with him, Not in a hurry, even fish can seance this..

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-09-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #3 
fishyinpa

Hi there. Yes it is possible. I cycled with Fishy. Someone told me you should only one water change a day,but im not sure. I only did one a day and I did 30%. Took a long time and long battle with ammonia but i finally won. Fishys tank cycled after about 10 weeks.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #4 
Indefinitive

Okay. Gregory doesn't seem to mind it. He seems to be fascinated by the big orange bucket that I use when I change his water.

If I were to change his water only once a day, his nitrite levels would be through the roof. They're barely controlled as it is with three a day. If I get a reading of .3ppm, I change it without hesitation.

I'm determined to make sure that Gregory makes it through the cycle with no lasting problems. I don't want him to change. His personality makes me smile.

Last edited by Indefinitive; 04-09-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Indefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #5 
fishyinpa

Yes they have amazing personalities. Ah you are to the nitrite stage. Good for you,your almost there!!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with your cycling.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote