Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #11 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
ikizukuri is really cruel. I have a friend who is Japanese American and she is disgusted with that and wishes it would stop.
I don't think I can think of any crueller food in the world currently consumed

It's just.... inhumane on so many levels. I know it has been outlawed in some places.... but even so you know that people who like it will still eat it (how ANYONE can like it is beyond me)
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #12 
trilobite

I had to google what it was and wow, why do people even think thats a good idea. Its incredibly cruel and there no purpose to it at all
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #13 
bniebetta

I can totally relate with this. I am actually really close friends with a few people from Saudi Arabia. I live in a small, mormon white town that is very locked into its ideas. It kind of takes a lot to really look at a culture that is different and judge it on an unbiased basis. There are so many beautiful things about their culture, but many shocking things as well. There are also ideas that I have been brought up very differently to believe about, and although our friendship comes easy we have to be careful to accept each other.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #14 
Polkadot

You have obviously never owned and loved a dog if you think it is ok in any way.

I am a vegetarian and LOVE animals,I wish the whole world was vegetarian and that all animals were kept as pets only,I wish no type of animal was eaten.But I also don't think at all that people are hypocrites for singling out dogs to be extra special,most people in the world (including me)consider dogs to be part of their family and their best friends.You say it is a cultural thing? Well in my culture dogs are considered to be very much loved members of the family.So I won't apologise for finding the topic to be extremely sickening.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just because you haven't owned a dog doesn't mean you can't appreciate them in any sense. I've never owned a dog (because I'm deathly allergic) but it doesn't mean I can't still love them the same way. So you con't judge that.

What it all comes down to is that people are judging other people because most of humanity is not open minded. Now I'm not saying that eating a dog is morally correct or anything, but seriously, if you were put in a starving situation (and I'm thinking more of Africa here than China or any other Oriental place) you would eat anything you came across. If you were left with your own pet dog, yeah you probably wouldn't kill him/her just to survive. But if you found one in the wild, probably be a very different story.

In response to Polkadot's view, I'm sorry but not all of us can be vegetarian and in fact I can't be vegetarian for health reasons, however just because I'm not vegetarian doesn't mean I can't love animals. Because I eat them doesn't make me any less than someone who doesn't. I've had my share of pets over the ages (cows, goats, sheep, cats, fish, chickens and ducks) but it doesn't stop me from eating them, even though I still loved them.

Again this is just going back to my original philosophy that people can't understand each other's views when they are on different levels. I'm not saying we are all vastly different, but just slightly different shades of grey. But it's still enough that we can know the answer (like I know some people thinking eating cat and dog are inhumane, but I see it different therefore I can't fully understand why you would thinking that eating them is completely wrong. Yes I know that dogs and cats have been with us for over 40,000 years and have grown along side of us, but it won't stop me from eating something if I'm super hungry. Now I won't eat it if it's considered a "delicacy" because then that's where I think it's wrong).

So to accuse someone of "being in the wrong" or "inhumane" is a very grey area that most of us should just stay away from, it keeps you from a lot of trouble and headache. Something else I learned; just because many people deem that something is good, doesn't make it good. For example, back in time, there were people who thought killing other people for sacrifice was great and good! Because everyone did it, it was thought to be "okay" and of course good for the "gods" but obviously as we know now, it would be considered wrong but some people could still view this as good.

So the good and the bad are two very different things in different peoples eyes. And again some people might not even understand what I'm trying to say here lol, for that I'm sorry I don't mean to cause confusion or anything. It's just that controversial things like this are difficult to come to conclusion with, people will give all sorts off answers but no "truth" is found in any of it and until the world decides that this is a "bad" thing, then it will stay good in some peoples eyes.

My suggestion, keep an open mind...with that said, it doesn't mean you can't dislike things or disagree with things, but having a different perspective on things can really change your life (sorry my art major side is coming out. I've learned to use perspective in art and it's literally become my own little philosophy). I know, I'm not going to change the world by saying these things but I hope to help some people realize that being close minded really won't help you too much in life.

and hey, if you don't want to read this, that's fine too, it isn't going to hurt me in any way haha
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I'm pretty sure many people are against this practice because in a lot of these countries laws pertaining to the humane treatment of animals are fairly lax and some of the practices relating to the keeping and slaughter of these dogs are nothing short of horrific.

You only have to do a quick Google search to see that these dogs aren't often humanely dispatched. I believe it is actually thought that in a lot of places beating the dog to death makes the meat taste better.

I have no issue with anyone eating whatever meat they want to. Heck, I tried kangaroo recently. However, I do disagree with cruel slaughter and farming practices. I know cruelty still occurs in slaughterhouses here, but I would hope that is not a reflection on the industry as a whole.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I agree LittleBettaFish, the treatment is cruel and I do believe that everyone can agree upon that at least.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #18 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
and hey, if you don't want to read this, that's fine too, it isn't going to hurt me in any way haha
but... i already read it lol

I agree. Another way to look at things....

some muslims will think of you as barbaric and discusting for eating the meat of a pig
and hindus will think of you as inhumane and cruel for eating the meat of a cow

There's 2 out of our 3 major meat groups gone!

Heck, some vegitareans and vegans will see you as savages for eating ANY meat (just see above!)

My point is, we all have different views on right and wrong. And before you judge a group of people on the animal they eat (assuming their farming and slaughter practice is not cruel) then just remember, there ARE people out there judging YOU on the food you ate too!

Even if you don't eat meat, there are people who will think of you as unnatural or foolish.

So you may think they're cruel, but just remember, they probably think YOU are too!
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well said Jade :) lol and I'm glad someone read it XD I tend to write too much and I figure most people are just too overwhelmed by it and skip over it. I know I do that for some things if it's not spaces easily enough to read, hence I like to add the extra space between my paragraphs and not make them too long :)

Perspective is key in everything, without it...well we probably wouldn't exist very well (not that we're doing a great job now anyway haha)
Old 04-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #20 
isochronism

Well I certainly would not eat a Betta... but I do enjoy Sardines :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote