Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #1 
kyle89

good plants to help with nitrITES?

I have 4 corck screw val 3 jungle val 3 Italian val 3 green wendtii and a few green myro but what plants are good to help lower nitrITES??
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Fast growing plants such as Hornwort, Anacharis, and my Banana Lilly is a really fast grower. Those are all I can think of or have in my tank. I am sure others will know of a few fast growers for you.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #3 
carbonxxkidd

+1 on the fast growing plants.

Once your tank is cycled, you shouldn't have any nitrites anyway. :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #4 
kyle89

My tank has been cycled but when you look at it wrong the cycle has a mini crash
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #5 
DefStatic

Plants will help lower Ammonia and Nitrates way more than Nitrites. Beneficial Bacteria is what you need to take care of Nitrites.

Your goal should be a completed nitrogen cycle, where if you add water from a water change that has a trace of ammonia, your plants/BB convert it quickly to nitrites, which quickly get converted to nitrates, which do not build up and are taken care of by the plants.

At least that is my understanding. The water I use to refill my office tank supposedly has a tiny trace amount of ammonia, which my tank clears out in a day.

Kind of scary learning about what is in your local water once you start setting up aquariums.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #6 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Plants will help lower Ammonia and Nitrates way more than Nitrites. Beneficial Bacteria is what you need to take care of Nitrites.

Your goal should be a completed nitrogen cycle, where if you add water from a water change that has a trace of ammonia, your plants/BB convert it quickly to nitrites, which quickly get converted to nitrates, which do not build up and are taken care of by the plants.

my tank has been fully cycled since mid-Feb: 0 ammonia & nitrite and 40 nitrate. the nitrate keeps creeping up if I do not do WC every other day.

So I do not think my plants are doing its job to absorb the nitrate. Also,

FYI, the link on Nitrogen Cycle-betta specific sticky and it is differenet from how you understand the build up of Nitrate. Nitrate does build up if the WC is not kept up or if the tank is not clean (as in slack in vaccuming, overfeeding, leftover food decomposing, excretion not vaccumed)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

...Once the nitrogen cycle has established your water prams should read:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm ideally...You want to keep this under 40ppm..
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #7 
kyle89

Yeah water changes still need to be performed weekly to remove waste an keep the nitrates down

Last edited by kyle89; 04-26-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #8 
Draug Isilme

Whoa, wait... I thought plants absorbed the nutrients that nitrates fed off of, and therefore your tank wouldn't go through the nitrogen cycle(?) Unless say you didn't have enough plants compensating for the extra nutrients and cycling your tank was possible then... but that's just the way I understand it...
Anyway, if you're worried about nitrites then yes fast feeders should definitely a first option. Otherwise, all plants absorb these and if you have a vast amount, they'll do the job regardless.. you just need to figure out if you want to go with fast growers (and make sure you're able to care for them as most fast growers you come by need more lighting and nutrients than others) or if you'd like to get a hoard of slow growers.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #9 
MoneyMitch

if there are enough plants in a NEW tank you will NOt see a cycle. plants will convert the ammonia to ammonium and then uptake it that way before it even has a chance to turn to rites or rates.

nitrates are a sum of the end of the chain as far as organic breakdown goes. yes plants can use this but only if the other 17 essential elements are in balance. this goes for all macro micro trace light and co2 needs.

plants are also much faster/efficient at using the ammonia/nitrite then bb so again if you have enough plants you don't even need a filter, just water circulation and surface agitation - all within moderation of course.
MoneyMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #10 
Otterfun

I think the issue is not about ammonia and nitrite but the fact that nitrate us the last by product of the nitrogen cycle that will build up and needs to be removed by WC And maybe chemically. Plants will not be efficiently remove rates as it would with ammonia and rites no matter how densely planted, rates will ultimately build up to a point that needs to be removed.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote