Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #1 
IonBaller07

I think snowflake has SBD

So my new betta Snowflake has been up at the top doing little side rolls and weird movements all day yesterday. Today I found him lying in one of my plants, It looked as if he was stuck soI thought he had died, I reach in and try to gently dislodge him with the back end of my net and he takes off. He swam around a bit and then rested gently on the plant again. I did some research and it sounds like SBD. Which makes since since he he was eating all day, I was actually really happy when I got him to eat a pellet which was probably the worst thing he could do. So Im going to try to scare the poop out of him using a mirror like one site said. And as soon as my mom gets back with some peas Ill try that. Anything else I can do. I cant really lower the water because I have some other fish in there, and the filter wouldnt work.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can try some frozen or freeze dried daphnia. It's more healthy for them than peas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #3 
IonBaller07

The LFS is closed though, should I wait until tommorow too try the Daphnia or should I just use the pea tonight. How long can betta survive with SBD, if I do give hima pea/daphnia how long does it take to clear him out.

Ohh and I tried that mirror trick to make him flare which makes him poo, it did make him flare but the poo was a no go.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

He'll be fine until tomorrow. In the meantime, you could try the pea if he'll eat it. I have one that has chronic sbd and its not fatal. I also had one that was constipated and didn't eat for a week and he was fine. He finally went and he finally ate. lol
Old 04-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #5 
IonBaller07

Just an update, I went to the local pet store, they didnt have any Daphnia so I couldnt try any. But i think itsfine anyways because I woke up this morning and Snowflake was swim around the tank, right side up, seemed pretty playful. I also bought some of those freeze dried blood worms, he ate like two little chunks of it pretty quickly, how much of that are you supposed to feed. Like I know once a week but how much once a week. And do you have to rehydrate it or something. Anyway snowflake appears to being doing well, and hopefully the dang petstore will get some female bettas in stock so I can get him a girliefreind.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'd say one or two bloodworms are fine.It should be rehydrated to prevent digestive problems.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #7 
IonBaller07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'd say one or two bloodworms are fine.It should be rehydrated to prevent digestive problems.
do you just sink them in some water to rehydrate them?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use a little plastic cup with a little dechlorinated water in it. I put the bloodworms or whatever freeze dried food I'm feeding, into it and let it sit for a few minutes, then give it to them.