Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #1 
wish4coner

Question about fry filtration

My fry are getting better and I just removed male from tank, as he no longer was caring for them. I know some soft of filtration is good but, I can't get sponge filters locally.

Can someone tell me what I should get as a sponge filter when I go to breed again? Best kind, how it works and what I need to buy with all the equipment? I am looking around ebay and everyone says it's the best..but I would rather have some experienced breeders tell me the best to buy.

TY!!
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #2 
Darth

This is what I use and I don't put them in until about 5 weeks, I keep the water 3 or 4 inches deep when I spawn and add an inch every week this keeps ammonia levels down, and when I do add it I keep it dialed down so there isn't a lot of current, it doesn't really filter the water, it harbors helpful bacteria
it does filter some of the particles out of the water but you will still need to siphon.

http://www.aquacave.com/Hydro-Sponge...Fc9FMgodPkkA7g
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #3 
wish4coner

air filter and hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
This is what I use and I don't put them in until about 5 weeks, I keep the water 3 or 4 inches deep when I spawn and add an inch every week this keeps ammonia levels down, and when I do add it I keep it dialed down so there isn't a lot of current, it doesn't really filter the water, it harbors helpful bacteria
it does filter some of the particles out of the water but you will still need to siphon.

http://www.aquacave.com/Hydro-Sponge...Fc9FMgodPkkA7g
If you don't mind...which air filter that I can dial down? We have such slim pickins here...all the pet stores had either battery operated or the air whisper but I dont see if that is adjustable. Everywhere sells a lot of filters but none for small tanks. If you could help me with air tubing size, and air filter (or what to buy so it can be adjusted) would be so helpful.

Thank you so much!
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #4 
Myates

Usually you will purchase an air control valve to adjust the strength of the airflow.. some air pumps can come with a control for strength, usually the larger ones with multiple valves. But you can purchase the valves and place them on the airline tubes for only a couple dollars.

A sponge filter such as what Darth recommended.. as for the pump itself it depends on how many lines you need - I generally have 5 tanks (range from 10-30 gallons) and a couple brine shrimp hatcheries going on a single pump, the pumps I use have 4-6 valves.. sometimes I will need to use a T valve to cover all my stuff.. and then the control valve to adjust the amount of air.

Here is basically what to look for -

Air pump (I don't use this brand, but it's to show you can get a single or multiple valves.. they can come with up to 8 valves depending upon brand). Just depends on what your needs are. Keep in mind, the more lines you place on a pump, the less the flow will be - I would say a maximum of 2 lines per valve.

Airline tubing - most come in one standard size and should fit all pumps. Always get a little more than what you think you will need.. as you will find uses for it - such as using them for drip lines to add new water into tanks, siphoning fry tanks, etc.

Sponge Filters - comes in all sizes and shapes. I always prefer to get ones that are for tanks a little larger than the tank I am using it in.. but that's just my preference.

Air control valves - place a small piece of tubing on one side, and then the rest on the other side. You can turn it to adjust the flow of air. I also use these for my drip system to control how many drops per second/minute when filling up fry tank.

T-valves - good for using multiple lines on a single pump valve.

You can purchase wherever you choose.. I love Doctors Foster and Smith, so used them for an example :)

Last edited by Myates; 04-25-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote