Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #1 
dc2die4

Change with cherry shimp??

How do you guys change the water with cherry shrimp?

I bought 5 cherries last Sunday and I did a water change today. I took out 2 gallons out of my 5 gallon tank.. And replaced it with another two gallons I prepared yesterday with prime. The water was probably 3 degrees off from the tank temp.. I siphoned the new water in and afterwards I see the cherries darting all over the place.. Like EVERYWHERE.

Now I have a shrimp or two that were sideways, and went right side up after I prod it.. So I'm guessing those two shrimp are going to pass on soon.

I'm guessing they're distressed..

EDIT: this is a cycled tank, with anacharis and a betta.
dc2die4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

o_o maybe the change in water parameters was too much for then... did you dechlorinate?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #3 
Otterfun

They are extremely sensitive to changes in water parameters, eg temp, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Also how you pour the water in matters a lot. I had 2 died on me in the beginning when I "drop" the water in too high creating a strong current that swirls them around in the tank. They don't take stress too well.

I'd suggest at least get the temp of new water within 1-2f Max diff from tank water. Also if these shrimps were not native to the tank, meaning you bought them versus babies born at the tank, they tend to be even more sensitive to changes.

IME babies born native to the tank are hardier to the higher nitrate than their immigrant parents. HTH
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

IME, shrimps coming from the lfs can be a little more delicate. I've sourced most of my rcs and other neos from hobbyists and they're super hardy. I would refrain from big water changes ...

I keep all of mine in unheated tanks. I believe their prefered temperature is around 70. Due shrimp's sensitivity towater parameters as a whole, higher temp= hugher metabolism which makes tem more susceptible to changes.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
IME, shrimps coming from the lfs can be a little more delicate. I've sourced most of my rcs and other neos from hobbyists and they're super hardy. I would refrain from big water changes ...

I keep all of mine in unheated tanks. I believe their prefered temperature is around 70. Due shrimp's sensitivity towater parameters as a whole, higher temp= hugher metabolism which makes tem more susceptible to changes.
+1
i heard from my local breeder that his RCS and Crystal shrimp (even more delicate species) died in the hot LA summers when the ambient temp is 100F+ and the tank temp is 84f without a chiller : ok for betta but not the shrimps.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #6 
dc2die4

Thanks guys, I'll be more careful with my water changes then.

How do you guys use prime? Do you put it in the new water right before the water change, or you put the prime in, and let the new water sit for a day?

I've been using prime and letting the new water sit for a day.

OH OH OH and how many shrimps do you think a 5 gallon could hold? It's a fluval spec v, and I'm adding a long piece of driftwood for a little bit more surface area.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Since all my tanks are pretty small, I fill a gallon bottle to do top ups andsmal water changes with. I have another gallon bottle I siphon water out to.

Is your tank planted? If so, how heavily planted is it? I currently house 6 adult shrimps and about 20 smal juveniles in a super heavily planted 1 gallon bowl >.>

I really think it depends on the bioload your tank can handle

oh and yep, I use prime!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #8 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2die4 View Post
Thanks guys, I'll be more careful with my water changes then.

How do you guys use prime? Do you put it in the new water right before the water change, or you put the prime in, and let the new water sit for a day?

I've been using prime and letting the new water sit for a day.

OH OH OH and how many shrimps do you think a 5 gallon could hold? It's a fluval spec v, and I'm adding a long piece of driftwood for a little bit more surface area.
According to TheShrimpFarm.com where I got my RCS (about 30% DOA with 3 berried mums), you can go up to 10/1g in a planted cycled tank.

Never done that, most I have 6 adults, 15 babies, a Golden Mystery snail, 4 Amanos in my SPEC V. About 5/1g for me. But I think 8/g without other livestock as a shrimp-only tank is possible.

Now I have 1 female CT, 1 female young adult CT, 1 baby CT, 6 adults and 20 RCS babies in the SPEC V. It is planted with 3 stems hygrphilia corymbosa, 1 stem jungle val, 20 stems of anacharis (the RCS babies love it), java moss (4 pebbles wrapped), java fern (2), 1 marimo moss ball (4" diameter), 1 marimo covered dirftwood , 6 stems of Amazon sword.

last nite: 0 amonia & nitrite, 40ppm Nitrate (just put Potassium, Micro fert, and 5cc Aqueon Plant food in the morning).

I do 1.5g WC every 2 days with vacuum every week.

I used to use PRIME, but have been using AmQuel+ because of the baby betta in there. In a previous post on this forum, effectiveness of PRIME is 24-48 hrs depending on the pH. My pH was 7.4 and so effectiveness was reduced to 24hrs. So AmQuel will do it for me for now. I also use Stress Coat+ every now and then.]

also, I turn on the airstone at night so the shrimps have oxygen when there is photosyntheis is slowed down at night. you can tell they (RCS) need it when they are not as red and stay closer to the top versus eating/staying on the substrate.

Last edited by Otterfun; 04-25-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #9 
dc2die4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I used to use PRIME, but have been using AmQuel+ because of the baby betta in there. In a previous post on this forum, effectiveness of PRIME is 24-48 hrs depending on the pH. My pH was 7.4 and so effectiveness was reduced to 24hrs. So AmQuel will do it for me for now. I also use Stress Coat+ every now and then.].
Do you mean the water is good for 24-48 hours AFTER I put the prime in, or I have to let it sit for 24-48 hours BEFORE I put it in? I think it's after I put it in, but just making sure.

I'm going to pick up some RCS from someone on craigslist soon.. .66 each.. Probably 20 or 30 shrimp. a lot better than the 1.98 I paid at the LFS -.-;; haha lesson learned

Last edited by dc2die4; 04-25-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #10 
dc2die4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Since all my tanks are pretty small, I fill a gallon bottle to do top ups andsmal water changes with. I have another gallon bottle I siphon water out to.

Is your tank planted? If so, how heavily planted is it? I currently house 6 adult shrimps and about 20 smal juveniles in a super heavily planted 1 gallon bowl >.>

I really think it depends on the bioload your tank can handle

oh and yep, I use prime!
I have a bunch of anacharis, and a moss ball.. so I should be okay.

thanks!