Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #1 
AFishTale

Question Interesting concept.. Has anyone tried it?

http://fishinabottle.webs.com/

Found this on Etsy today-- (link above) Seems like substrate would be a no-go in this thing, and it would be tricky to rig a heater.. But I must say, it's pretty neat looking.

Also I feel like the 'self cleaning' aspect might freak the fish out. Seems like the draining action would be equivalent to flushing a toilet.. Still, again, very interesting concept.

Has anyone tried this?
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

The heater would definitely be hard, I'd assume you'd have to cut a hole in the top for it.

As for the cleaning, if you did it with a sponge filter you could probably filter it, but even then you'll have to take out 25% of the water once a week or two weeks in order for your nitrates not to get too high. And cycling could be difficult without the surface area for the substrate.

Overall, it's an interesting idea...but I wouldn't spend a lot of money to try it out just in case it wasn't feasible. You can get 5g jugs just like that at the grocery store for filtered water, and from there you'd just need a cabinet with a small hole cut into it for the "spout" to go in for the drainage.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #3 
AFishTale

That's what I thought. Cool idea, but it just wouldn't be worth the trouble of keeping it well suited for the fish. Plus, they are asking quite a bit for it..

Last edited by AFishTale; 04-24-2013 at 08:53 PM.
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #4 
bniebetta

It may look cool, but I personally HATE things like this. I actually slammed the comment section of something similar on youtube. I hate everything about these products. When it really comes down to it, things like this end up being more work trying to figure out thinks like the heater, decor, etc. More importantly to me, I think these send a bad message to the world. I think that it promotes the idea that fish don't really need that much care and you can just put them in said "no-clean" container and be good to go. There are so many benefits to the old fashioned gravel vacuuming, water changes, etc that just cannot usually be achieved by these systems. I think that if people do not want to have to clean an aquarium, they should not have one. I think of of the best opportunities to spend time actually looking at the fish and checking on everything is during tank changes, which get "eliminated" by these setups. It reminds me of people who get dos and then pay someone to walk them, feed them, sit them, etc. They don't really get the most out of their pet by trying to eliminate any work on their part. I think unless an item is innovative enough to outweigh concerns, which this item does not imo, it is not worth getting.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

It looks too high for a betta, where the oxygen coming from for them to surface?, plus the lack of plants doesn't make it betta friendly.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

it's open top i believe :) so shouldn't be hard to put a heater in.

edit: i found an image where there is a hole in the top :)
they also have substrate at the bottom, id imagine that the substrate cant be too fine ^_^

Last edited by ao; 04-25-2013 at 10:49 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote