Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you want purple, your best bet would be crossing to a lavender. But there will be lots of blue-red combination.

RB x MG = mostly blue multi and some MG.

Bright Yellow, orange, or red is a different color line - cross a clean red to a clean red cambodian. You will get a range of cambodian and red. If the NR genes kicks in (not physically shown), you will get yellow or orange.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #22 
Scottyhorse

So I think I have decided what I would like to do to start out...
1 Crowntail pair with my male and a Cambodian female
1 Halfmoon pair with Mustard gas male, and either a mustard gas female or some other, depends on what I like :)
1 Delta/Super Delta pair, undecided coloring.

This sound like a good plan? Of course, I won't be spawning them all at the same time!

Now I just need to convince my parents to let me have another 6+ fish tanks...
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #23 
Scottyhorse

Bump if that is allowed :)
Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #24 
bettacrazygirl86

Just wanted to say, my male is a VT and CT mix. :) His fins actually look pretty cool, in my opinion. Not show quality, but I think they look cool to me. His dorsal looks like a CT's, his anal looks like a VT's, but has some points at the bottom like a CT does, and his caudal fin is completely VT. I think it looks neat. :)
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #25 
Scottyhorse

Oh cool! He sounds like a cutie.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #26 
Roemgie

One thing I know (from genetics at least in mammals) is that unless you can get the family line back to about 3-4 generations you can have any mix or anything. Like your boy or girl could be the odd ball from their parents but you wouldn't know until you saw what type of babies they produced.

If you aren't planning on making a business than defiantly experiment (obviously while keeping the betta's health in mind). It takes about 3.5-4 months for a betta to mature and so you can continue to 'play' with genetics within a short time frame.

I know its favorable for some people to breed father with daughter or son with mother or even brother to sister. The idea is to draw the line more together than apart. BUT If you're not trying to pin point a specific type of betta than make sure that you maybe take your one male and then your one female and do 'test runs' to see what type of babies they make.

I just decided to make a little chart although they are very basic it was a way to express my idea lol

It's not something to completely go by since i have never bred bettas before and am now just looking into maybe doing it in a couple of months. So I wouldn't say take my chart and fly but the idea of genetics is the same for almost everything. Only when we're involved and we're breeding for things that we want the genetic table changes because we go for more unnatural things that may or may not help the animal verses nature when it goes for similarity.

Last edited by Roemgie; 04-25-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote