View Poll Results: Should Betta Fish be alone or used to make community tanks
Bettas should live alone 38 84.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community of Bettas 2 4.44%
Bettas should be used to make a community with other fish 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #11 
Trunkzdbz

Smile Thanks to Everyone For All the Great Feedback

I want to thank everyone who replyed to my post with so many helpful suggesstions and sound advice. I actually did tons of research online before adding a single fish, banana plant, or snail into my 5 gallon tank, I researched what to feed Bettas and how to care for them, I researched can Bettas live in a community, I researched if a 5 gallon tank is enough for my fishy friends, I mean I did a lot of research, and I found many difference of opinion answers on a lot of aquarium websites including this one. Many people said they had Betta community tanks with females and a single male, many people said not to mix Bettas. It's trail and error for me, I plan on getting a 20 gallon tank in the future; I know my Pleco will need that space because he can grow to be 1 to 2 feet long right now hes a baby just 1 and half inchs long, so hes ok in my 5 gallon for now. The Bettas all 4 females get along great hank God, and the male is also calm and swims around happy with the females, my Gold Mystery snails love sucking my tank walls and gravel all day long and my Pleco is super active sucking on everything the filter tube the heater the tank walls and even the banana plants. I wan't to thank everyone once again for all the great feedback, and I hope to hear from more fishy friends in the future.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just another quick thing, just because you think they "look happy" doesn't mean that actually are.

That pleco is going to out grow that tank in about a month and he's going to die. Sorry to be blunt, but that's what's going to happen. Also, the bioload that pleco and snails produce is going to make your ammonia skyrocket. Even with daily water changes it's not going to be enough.

Eventually all your fish will be harmed from ammonia poisoning. I get that this is a trial and error, but in such a small tank, you're going to end up with many fishie deaths I'm sorry.

Again, those females are going to gang up on your male on day and probably kill him, I'm not so much worried about the male killing them, its the other way around. As it has been said before, the females will feel threatened, especially with that many fish in there.

For a sorority the minimum gallons is a 10 gallon tank.

Also you kept saying that you re-cycle your tank. You only cycle a tank once, I assume you did this with the fish in it. What happens (and sorry if this is reiteration for you) is the fish produce poop, the ammonia will spike after a while and then the nitrites come along, this will pull the ammonia down and the nitrites will take over. After that nitrates come along to join the party, taking the nitrites down and nitrates will spike. All of these spikes are harmful to your fish. Once your nitrates spike up you need to do a 70% water change and gradually add in your fish, if you do it all at once you're going to kill your Beneficial Bacteria or BB.

To keep this tank healthy you're going to need to do a 50% water change everyday, MINIMUM, other wise as I said before, your fish are going to die. That, or, buy the 20 gallon soon, put the girls in with LOTS and LOTS of plants (not plastic) and place the pleco and snails in there. Keep the boy in the 5 gallon of his own and he will be much more happy.

I am interested though, can we see pics of this oh so glorious tank?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #13 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Wow...how often do you do water changes on your 5 gallon ?

I have only one Banana plant in my 5 gallon and its going to have to be trimmed as its starting to take over the tank, they are sure fast growers. Do you keep yours trimmed ? Would love to see some pictures. So the BB in your tank can handle all this bio-load ? How many filters do you have ?

My 5 gallon only has one Betta and some pond snails and I just would not trust that is could handle more than that plus my guy would not handle anymore being in his home, he loves it all to himself and so do I because I believe he is happier that way having it all to himself and he even knocks the pond snails off his plants sometimes...lol
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #14 
Talen

I have to clean the bottom of my 29 gallon at least once a week with the amount of poo my 5 inch pleco puts out. They are major pooing machines, the commons are worse.
Talen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #15 
Wildbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkzdbz View Post
I want to thank everyone who replyed to my post with so many helpful suggesstions and sound advice. I actually did tons of research online before adding a single fish, banana plant, or snail into my 5 gallon tank, I researched what to feed Bettas and how to care for them, I researched can Bettas live in a community, I researched if a 5 gallon tank is enough for my fishy friends, I mean I did a lot of research, and I found many difference of opinion answers on a lot of aquarium websites including this one. Many people said they had Betta community tanks with females and a single male, many people said not to mix Bettas. It's trail and error for me, I plan on getting a 20 gallon tank in the future; I know my Pleco will need that space because he can grow to be 1 to 2 feet long right now hes a baby just 1 and half inchs long, so hes ok in my 5 gallon for now. The Bettas all 4 females get along great hank God, and the male is also calm and swims around happy with the females, my Gold Mystery snails love sucking my tank walls and gravel all day long and my Pleco is super active sucking on everything the filter tube the heater the tank walls and even the banana plants. I wan't to thank everyone once again for all the great feedback, and I hope to hear from more fishy friends in the future.

Are you daft? I am going to apologize before hand because I am going to sound rude, I can just feel it. All I say is to help your fish whether it is easy for you or not, the fish deserve the treatment they require.

Your pleco is NOT ok in your 5 gallon. Even as a baby they require a 10 gallon minimum until they are about an inch or so then moving to 20 or bigger is required. The amount of waste a single pleco produces will kill your fish because of the high ammonia. If your pleco is moving from item to item so much it probably is not getting what it needs. Majority of plecos will happily move around but they spend most of their time in single areas feeding. Add on top of this -- two big ole mystery snails. Two big ole mess makers along with the pleco which adds up to a good 10 gallon tanks worth of ammonia all stuffed inside a 5 gallon tank.
That in itself is already really bad and I don't know of any filtration on that size tank that could handle that bioload.
Now the second bad thing is you also have 4 female bettas in way too small a tank. The females need enough room to get away from each other or else you are going to have some dead female bettas. Either they will get sick from the stress or you will have a mass murder from the other females. Female bettas do not live "happily" because there is always an ongoing struggle for the leader and all it takes is one issue and you end up with all of them dead. Then you add a male betta into this cesspool of bad. The male will want to control his territory which is the 5 gallon. He also will want to breed with the females which causes undue stress on everyone involved. The females will eventually kill the male (that is how it almost always happens in this situation) either by ganging up on him or by literally stressing him to death.
Salt should not be added to a FW tank unless it requires it and when added should always be aquarium salt NOT marine salt. These are two totally different types of salt. By using salt all the time, you are hurting your bettas kidneys as well as what it is doing to the pleco.
You say you did lots of research...but I am not sure from where since no dependable place of research would suggest anything like what you have. What I see is someone who started with a 5 gallon and has looked for research to back what he wants to do. Which anyone could do but doesn't mean it is correct. I know you say this is trial and error but you are risking your fish's lives which I do not thing is appropriate.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #16 
Trunkzdbz

I have pics of my tank and fishy friends on here just type in my name Trunkzdbz, or 5 Gallon aquarium in the search box and I should pop up. P.S I have the API water testing strips to test for Ammonia and nitrates and PH level etc, I did a check yesterday and the water was in perfect condition Ph is at between 6.0 and 7.5 also ammonia and nitrates are low withing safe levels. I also add marine salt Istant Ocean best aqaurium salt and most expensive on the market just a tablespoon to keep slime down, any parasites, ich, disease away they don't grow anywear salt is present so my fishys are really well protected and taken care of.
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #17 
Wildbetta

There is no safe level of ammonia or nitrItes. Safe means 0. Having any reading is not perfect condition. Just because the water is clear does not mean it is clean. Salt is BAD for your fish. Especially Marine salt. Test strips are notoriously faulty and not accurate at all. To keep away parasites and disease, all that is really needed is clean water with plenty of water changes.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ok yeah, you are daft.

Salt will literally destroy your Betta's livers....how can you not say that this is not bad? They kind of need those, also their kidneys.

Salt will not keep slime down. And for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates to be safe, they should all be ZERO. There is no other "safe" zone for these.

and MARINE salt should NEVER be added to a FRESH water aquarium. AQUARIUM SALT is way different from MARINE salt, as EPSOM salt is different from all those.

I almost feel this whole thing is just a ruse to get us all riled up....
Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #19 
Wildbetta

Yep beginning to make me wonder about that as well lilnaugrim.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbetta View Post
Yep beginning to make me wonder about that as well lilnaugrim.
It's like, let me make up this tank that I know are going to seriously get people worried and then put it in a community that absolutely loves their Bettas! Just to see how they react! But then thinking this could actually be real makes me sick to my stomach.

Tags
5 gallon betta aquarium