Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #1 
DJay

Silk Plants

hey, i currently have a rather large plastic plant in my fluval spec aquarium and i was thinking about changing it to a silk plant because apparently there better and safer which makes sense, it would also allow my betta to move around more and hide in them since silk is much more moveable to a fish then plastic, i would imagine it is anyways, sadly tho petco has some pretty amazing looking purple ones (must be purple hehe) and they do not ship to canada which is very frustrating. We dont have alot of variety in silk plants here and i found some really great ones but cant get it. anyone know anywhere that sells these plants and ships to canada?

http://www.amazon.com/Petco-Midgroun...ple+petco+silk

http://www.amazon.com/Petco-Purple-L...N%3DB008MXD1CG
DJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #2 
BlueBettaSplendensLover

I would go to eBay and Amazon and search around for things. Or just "google" purple silk plant and see what you can find. :) Hope that helps!
BlueBettaSplendensLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #3 
DJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBettaSplendensLover View Post
I would go to eBay and Amazon and search around for things. Or just "google" purple silk plant and see what you can find. :) Hope that helps!
Sorta worked, found this one,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ColorBurst-P...3420%26ps%3D54

not as nice but i guess it will have to do
Old 04-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #4 
BlueBettaSplendensLover

Awesome

Well I'm glad I was able to help. Have a great day
BlueBettaSplendensLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #5 
slug61

Hey, fellow Ontarian.
Yes, it's a pain that we can't seem to get good silk plants here.
I need to change a few of mine since my betta recently developed 2 long tears in his tail fin.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #6 
DJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug61 View Post
Hey, fellow Ontarian.
Yes, it's a pain that we can't seem to get good silk plants here.
I need to change a few of mine since my betta recently developed 2 long tears in his tail fin.
i know exactly what u mean, that happened to mine the first week and then he got with the program and it didnt happen anymore, but still id like to give him better hiding spots in the plant bc he cant really do that with the plant in there. Also there are only a few silk plants i can get at petsmart and there small and green and boring. not impressed.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #7 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJay View Post
i know exactly what u mean, that happened to mine the first week and then he got with the program and it didnt happen anymore, but still id like to give him better hiding spots in the plant bc he cant really do that with the plant in there. Also there are only a few silk plants i can get at petsmart and there small and green and boring. not impressed.
Yup, i've seen those ones at Petsmart...they are boring.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #8 
Blue Fish

Have you tried modded craft store plants? If you have a local craft or sewing store that sells silk plants/greenery, these can be modified for aquarium use.

Just use needle-nose pliers and wire cutters to remove any metal stems, and soak them for a week or so in treated water to make sure they don't leech dye or cloud your water.

From there, you can attach polished rocks to the bottom with aquarium sealant to hold them in place. You can also use the sealant to glue leaves and flowers, or leaves and other greenery together to make different sorts of plants from what you straight-up purchase.

These are also usually quite a lot cheaper in the end as well. :)

I hope that helps!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #9 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Have you tried modded craft store plants? If you have a local craft or sewing store that sells silk plants/greenery, these can be modified for aquarium use.

Just use needle-nose pliers and wire cutters to remove any metal stems, and soak them for a week or so in treated water to make sure they don't leech dye or cloud your water.

From there, you can attach polished rocks to the bottom with aquarium sealant to hold them in place. You can also use the sealant to glue leaves and flowers, or leaves and other greenery together to make different sorts of plants from what you straight-up purchase.

These are also usually quite a lot cheaper in the end as well. :)

I hope that helps!
Good ideas...thanks.