Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #1 
JingleAllTheWay

Old fish dying

I have a betta named Jingle (thus my forum name) and he's really old. I believe he is at least four years old. Anyway, I think he's dying.

He's slowly over time started laying on the bottom and he hardly ever moves. Occasionally he swims up to the top of his bowl. I moved him to a one gallon tank. I actually thought it might be better for him since I can keep it cleaner and he doesn't have as far too go to get to the top. I don't think he has an illness. He's just old. Is there anything else I can do for him or just wait until he dies? I hate watching him, he looks so pitiful.

The only thing I have noticed is that his lips (hee hee, do fish have lips?) seem big. I know that sounds really weird, but at least that is what it looks like. And he won't eat anything. I don't think he's had anything to eat for the past week!!

So . . . is there anything I can do besides keeping his tank clean?
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #2 
dukie1346

Aww, good luck going through this tough time with Jingle.
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #3 
aquakid

There is nothing you can do besides wait. If you wish you can aerate the water a little more for the fishes comfort.
aquakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #4 
JingleAllTheWay

Yeah, I figured that was it. It makes me sad. He's the very first betta I got. Sadly, I'm starting to hope it will be soon just so he'll be put out of his misery.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Jingle. :( Just keep the water clean and maybe lower the water level so he can get to the top easier.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #6 
Haeclark

if he seems to be in too much pain, there are methods of "putting him down" [and no I don't mean down the toilette!]
Just something you can take into consideration. Some people dont believe in it...but if he's suffering, I think that would be better for him, as keeping him alive is more crew in my opinion [but only if he's suffering].

As he is in a smaller tank now...you'll have to change his water at least every 2-3 days. I don't know about lowing it even more if he's already in a 1 gal tank.

You can get floating devises [floating "cups" such as the breeder devises] that help him stay closer to the top while also giving him more water to circulate in. This way, you could also have another fish if you so desired...but only if in a larger tank then 1 gal.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #7 
stlovefamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleAllTheWay View Post
I have a betta named Jingle (thus my forum name) and he's really old. I believe he is at least four years old. Anyway, I think he's dying.

He's slowly over time started laying on the bottom and he hardly ever moves. Occasionally he swims up to the top of his bowl. I moved him to a one gallon tank. I actually thought it might be better for him since I can keep it cleaner and he doesn't have as far too go to get to the top. I don't think he has an illness. He's just old. Is there anything else I can do for him or just wait until he dies? I hate watching him, he looks so pitiful.

The only thing I have noticed is that his lips (hee hee, do fish have lips?) seem big. I know that sounds really weird, but at least that is what it looks like. And he won't eat anything. I don't think he's had anything to eat for the past week!!

So . . . is there anything I can do besides keeping his tank clean?
I just lost a male beta after having him 4 years as well. He acted just like yours . His coloring was the first to go. He was a beautiful red and over the course of 2 months he faded to a dark pink. In his last days he layed in his plants and didn'y move much. His lips were larger as well.

I'm sorry
stlovefamily is offline   Reply With Quote