Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #211 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielaMarie View Post
Very nice, aemaki09! What are the plants you have in there?
Thank you!! Too many to name, here's a short list of what I can think of without looking directly at the tank:: hygro polysperma, wisteria, bacopa Carolinia&sunsrt, moneywort, pennywort, crypt lutea&petchii&parva&balansae&wendtii bronze, vallisneria tape&the thin leafed one, dwarf sag, Pygmy chain sword, apongenton, sunset hygro, Marimo moss, java fern&moss, peacock moss, and a few other stems. I also have an order of 4-5 different stem bunches to add when I get them
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #212 
carbonxxkidd

Alright, here are my two planted tanks.

29g sorority/community tank. Eco-complete substrate. Wisteria, lace java fern, giant hygro, amazon sword, vallisneria spiralis, bacopa caroliniana, guppy grass, a tiny bit of subswassertang, marimo, frogbit, duckweed, bolbitis, a tiny bit of dwarf four leaf clover (if it's still alive) and some random crypts. I have two lights on this tank, one 20W T12 and one 15W T8. I keep the lights on 12 hours a day (from 10:30am-10:30pm) and fertilize with Seachem Flourish and Iron, Potassium and Nitrogen when I remember...lol. Fluval 150W kept at 80F. Water changes every Thursday, about 30%. I have an Eheim 2213 filter on this tank, and have added a bubble wall for aeration (which isn't really needed, but my shrimp were suffering without it). It's been up and running since late December 2012. Currently has 9 female bettas, 6 corys (3 melini, 3 punctatus), 2 otos (hoping to find one or two more good ones soon), 4 red mickey mouse platies, 4 amano shrimp, and a whole mess of MTS and Ramshorns.

5.5g NPT. Miracle gro organic choice potting mix capped with Petco black sand. There is a Marina S10 filter on the tank right now that came with the set up, but I'm hoping to get rid of it soon...it makes noise and apparently filters aren't always needed with NPTs. I bought the Marina 5g kit off Amazon and just replaced the bulb in the hood with a 6500K bulb from the fish section at Walmart. Hydor Theo 50W kept at 80F. Plants: amazon sword, wisteria, vallisneria spiralis, anubais, bacopa caroliniana (not doing well, there's only a tiny stem left), giant hygro, guppy grass, subswassertang, anacharis, frogbit, duckweed, cobomba, and one crypt in front (not sure what kind). Houses one male plakat betta, lots of MTS and 4 ghost shrimp. This tank has been set up since mid-January 2013 and has only been fertilized twice (which wasn't really needed). I am down to doing once a month water changes on this tank!

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 04-25-2013 at 08:11 PM.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #213 
SerenaRena
Banned

wow, really nice tanks
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #214 
AyalaCookiejar

I got my new plants today :) can't wait until I can get rid of all the silk plants!!!

I wrapped my java moss around the mask decoration and used it to tie my java fern to the side.

Got another Anubias way in the back on the right side. Right in front is the Hygrophilia Corymbosa (sp?) hiding behind the jungle Val's. it and the java fern right next to it are hard to see. Some rotala indica up front, water sprite planted between the mask and the Anubias clear on the left side. Crypt petchii is also there. Tons of hornwort floating around, too :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #215 
ShukiAi

So here is my new 30 gallon tank! I just got everything re-arranged and the fish moved over tonight. This is my first "real" planted tank. I had a a few plants in my 10 gallon...but plastic as well. :P This is now the home of my betta sorority. I hope the plants take off soon to give the girls some more cover. I also plan on getting a large driftwood piece and to get rid of the fake logs and rocks. For the most part I'm pretty happy with it and hope it goes well. ^__^

ShukiAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #216 
JustinieBeanie

Wow everyone's planted tanks look so great, it really makes me want one of my own! But as a beginner with no fish experience, I think I should only focus on fiish first, before adding live plants to the mix. Plus my past history with (non aquatic) indoor plants is not so great, although I do have a pair of orchids that seem to be doing well. In any of your experiences, Are past successes or failures with "regular" non aquatic land plants indicative of future successes or failures with aquatic plants in your aquariums? Or are the two so different that you might have trouble with one, but success with the other?
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #217 
ShukiAi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinieBeanie View Post
Wow everyone's planted tanks look so great, it really makes me want one of my own! But as a beginner with no fish experience, I think I should only focus on fiish first, before adding live plants to the mix. Plus my past history with (non aquatic) indoor plants is not so great, although I do have a pair of orchids that seem to be doing well. In any of your experiences, Are past successes or failures with "regular" non aquatic land plants indicative of future successes or failures with aquatic plants in your aquariums? Or are the two so different that you might have trouble with one, but success with the other?
It's funny you bring this up. I can't keep a "regular" plant alive to save my life. I was very hesitant to get aquatic plants for my tanks, but so far so good! However, it's only been about 2 months. Haha! I've had marimo for about 2 years - but I don't think those count. :P
ShukiAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #218 
isochronism

Justin, I was new to both. I had my tank set up and planted for two months experimenting. The plants were rewarding in themselves. When that all worked, I then added fish. If you start with fish then decide you want to plant, it will be much more difficult in that order.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #219 
Emmalee01

My three planted bowls. I'm planning on adding more plants (am quite new at this whole planted tank thing though) I love all of your tanks- they are making me consider a larger scale tank in the future... :)
Emmalee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #220 
aemaki09

Ok so here are 3 of my 2.5's before I did a trimming today. These plants grow FAST!! It's NPT, organic potting soil with a black diamond 30/60 blasting sand cap.

Plants will be listed after each picture.

Water sprite, wisteria, apongenton, dwarf saggitaria, bacopa monnieri, baby tears, rotala indica, cabomba Carolinia, guppy grass, and anarchis
15w 6500k CFL with API co2 booster dosed daily, flourish comp. dosed weekly

Guppy grass, hygro ploysperma sunset, baby tears, moneywort, cabomba Carolina, Mayaca Fluviatilis, rotala indica, rotala walichii, dwarf saggitaria, altherna reinecki, ludwigia, water sprite, java moss
Lava rock, API co2 booster daily, 13w 6500k cfl, flourish comp weekly

And last but not least!

Water sprite, wisteria, cabomba, baby tears, rotala indica, Mayaca Fluviatilis, java fern, java moss, guppy grass, dwarf sag, apongenton, anarchis
13w 6500k cfl, lava rock, API co2 booster daily, flourish comp 1x/week

I'm sure there are a couple plants I missed but that's the majority.
Sorry if the 2nd picture is accidentally turned the wrong way, sometimes my phone likes to be a brat!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou