Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
the plants will adjust to the new water chemistry after soem time all of my vals melted away to nothing and are starting to make a comeback, the watersprite is a weird plant in some of my tanks I don't think I could kill it if I tried and in others it's being difficult to grow, we kid about it and just say the fish in the tanks that it's doing well in are zen gardeners, it is weird how sometimes there is no real reason why
Lol I just threw some watersprite in my blind boys tank to see if it will grow. I mean if it can grow in a jar thrown in a corner it should grow in his tank with those tiny LED lights. Right? Maybe not.

I'm also concerned about my Nerite not getting enough food in there. She has exhausted her entire algae supply.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #12 
Donetta

Hi Ayala, you've been helping me with my Betta. In my 10 gal planted tank my Watersprite is growing out of control. My Betta loves to rest in it at night. I usually have to trim it every week. I have 2 10watt CFLs on the tank. I have mine planted. I read that if it's floating it can take less light. Is your's planted or floating? I dose Flourish as well, but I also dose all the Micros NPK and Excel three time per week. My temp on the tank is 78-80 degrees.
Attached Images

Donetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #13 
WolfHhowling

My water sprite made babies.

But not after it adjusted.

If its a new plant, all it needs is some time it will spring back fast.

as for the algae, I would say stop fertilizing. Water sprite doesn't need it at all to grow. that much algae in the tank might indicate your using to much fertilizer. I would stop fertilizing.

For a while, if nothing improves, it wasn't that, if it worsens it was that and start back up with the ferts.

However if it stops all together and plants are looking better, it was TOO much fert.
Also you want to remove any brown leaves from any plants, you don't want them to melt in your tank, it bad for your water.
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you. My watersprite is floating. I have actually stopped with the ferts and was only using half doses anyways. There's also a little algae on some of my plant leaves but none of them are actually turning brown. It seems like the algae is getting better, though.

The watersprite was the first of my plants to actually have any new growth (besides maybe the java moss but that one is hard to tell). Now it seems that none of my plants are growing at all, besides the java fern and jungle vals which are making very, very little progress.

Edit: stupid question. Could I just tie my java fern to an aquarium decoration? I don't have any drift wood. Right now it's NOT planted in the gravel, it's just kinda floaty, lol. My anubias also just has it's root barely into the gravel. Last time I moved it, the roots were beginning to pick up some gravel.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 04-25-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #15 
carbonxxkidd

Yes, from what I've read is java ferns and anubais should attach to pretty much anything - rocks and driftwood are the most common things to tie them too, though, from what I've seen. :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #16 
Donetta

Yes, you can tie Java Fern to your decoration that's what I did. I actually rubber rubberbanded mine. The Anubias can be tied or planted, but if its planted you can't plant the rhizome or it will rot. Just plant the roots and the straight bar part sits on top of the substrate.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

Awesome. I have a little wooden mask decoration from Petco. Its not a cave so girls being chased can't get trapped in it and the holes are not small enough for them to get stuck.

I'm thinking it would be cool to try to get the java moss to grow on it, too. That stuff is just sticking to everything because I have it floating for now. Also, I have fishing line to attach it but I was afraid that might harm my girls and I know rubber bands will eventually like, disintegrate. Is that bad, lol?

Random fact: one of my dragon girls jumped out of the tank a little bit ago 0_0
Tbh, I'm still afraid of touching them and I had to scoop her up with my hands. I'm also afraid to arrange the plants in the tank because the girls will chase my hands and I'm not sure how to get over this fear.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #18 
Donetta

I agree I wouldn't use fishing line. I saw on a reputable site about the rubber bands, so I went with it. I never actually read about them discentergrating, but I did read that about cotton thread. I like how java moss looks on things too. I tried it, but couldn't get it to stick, hopefully it works for you.
Your girls sound lively. Mine hasn't jumped out..thank goodness. Funny I'm not afraid to be close to my Betta. I find that I have the urge to pet him like a little puppy, but I resist. He gets so close to me during water changes. He's not fearful at all. He has so much emotions, throws tantrums and everything. I can definitely tell when he's pissed at me..lol.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #19 
VJM

You are going to have to double check me on this, but I think vals are one of the plants that don't like Flourish. IIRC (no guarantee I am), it is Flourish Excel that causes problems.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #20 
carbonxxkidd

I use Flourish Comprehensive with my vals and they are fine. I don't use Excel though, and have also heard a lot of negatives about how it reacts to vals and other plants...
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote