Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #11 
WVBETTAMAN

I just bought a 2.5 gallon tank and a male betta on 4-11 and today (4-13) I put a female in the tank and Bubbles was on the top of the water is there something wrong or is that normal on a new tank?
WVBETTAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #12 
Nataku

Did you put the male and female in the same tank together? Please don't do that and separate them immediately, they are likely to fight and severely injure each other. A 2.5 gallon tank is only big enough for one fish anyhow.
Is 'Bubbles' the name of your fish or are you just referring to bubbles? I'm a little confused at the context considering you capitalized the word. If its just the object bubbles, this is not unusual, betta males blow bubblenests to mark their territory, it is a good sign that the male is healthy.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #13 
WVBETTAMAN

bubbles as is air bubbles sorry the tank is a mini bow 2.5 and the pet store salesman said that a male and female could live together but thats all that could be in the tank
Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wish that petstore employees would quit telling people that males and females can live together in a small container.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #15 
Nataku

Pet store salesmen are idiots. Do not trust anything they say. Ever. They are purely there to make a sale, and do not care a wit for the well-being of the fish they are trying to sell you. After all, the sooner you kill your fish, the sooner you'll be back in the store to buy more.

Betta fish are extremely territorial. This goes for both males and females. In fact, many females are even meaner than the males, and will beat the living daylights out of them, rip their fins off, and kill them. Bettas are generally best off alone, especially when it comes to other betta fish. Please remove one of them right now and put them in another tank (or if you don't have one, stick one of them back in the cup they came in for the night and either return one, or go get another tank as soon as you can). If you don't you are likely to wake up to a dead betta or maybe even two in the morning. The only time males and females interact with each other is for breeding purposes, and they have to be specially conditioned before you can do that, just throwing them in a tank together will not work. And even for breeding, the female must be removed immediately afterwards or things will turn ugly fast between the two fish.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #16 
WVBETTAMAN

Can you put a Male and female in a 10 gallon tank with a molly?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #17 
Nataku

If you divide the tank so the male and female can't get at each other, yes. The molly, eh, the molly may or may not be pestered by either one of the bettas. I've never kept mollies with bettas, so I'm not sure, but honestly, I wouldn't try it. Keep one betta in the 2.5 gallon, divide the 10 gallon, stick the other betta on one side, and the molly on the other.