Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #1 
wish4coner

Spawning of Rosetail with female PK

This is my very first spawning attempt. I was shocked it took and am recording it here. Maybe I can see any mistakes I made, if something should happen. I am excited that the second breed I attempted, took!

Day 1) Rosetail Wiley placed in with female blue pk. Breeding took place after 24 hours, and eggs were laid on April 20.

Day 2) Mom removed from breeding container. Dad chasing her away. Dad staying in one area but unable to tell if the eggs are viable or not. Dad seems to just be sitting and waiting. Tub has a plant, two moss balls and treated with IAL. Bubble wrap shows nest and white specks in it. Dad left alone at this time.

Day 3)April 22--While about to syphon any waste, I see small "specks" moving. I look and, approx. 7 fry can be seen, swimming horizontally. Dad still attending. Unable to see under bubble wrap but he seems to be placing more back in there. Feed small amount of egg yolk for horizontally swimming fry and put in sponge filter. Refeed at night, egg yolk and see about 5 more fry swimming horizontally. Dad still under bubble nest and taking some and putting them from the bottom, into the bubble nest.

Day 4) Add just a bit of water with IAL and prime. 8 fry under a floating thermometer. Temp is 82 degrees. 4 more fry are by the moss ball. All swimming horizontally but dad still under the bubble nest. Feed egg yolk. Still unsure how many fry there are, until I can see under the bubble wrap completely.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Would love to see photos of the parents
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #3 
wish4coner

Well, I tried tonight and even did a video on my phone..and stupidly, dropped the phone into the spawning bin! lol...I cant really tell how many. I am guessing between 7 and 12 but, Dad has some hidden behind some plastic wrap. I noticed, also that some love to be on the moss balls and on the sponge filter I made. I cant wait to post pictures. I am so proud and, hoping this takes.

Thanks for responding!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #4 
veggiegirl

Can't wait to see photo's shame about your phone. I would love to breed my bettas but I just don't have the time, space or money. I am looking forward to seeing how yours go! So exciting your first spawn!!!!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #5 
wish4coner

Day 5--Spawning While with plakat

Wiley is one devloted dad!

April 25-Wiley protects the nest really well and most fish are now swimming horizontally. Used a small medicine dropper to remove some waste. Introduced some instant baby brine shrimp. Some ate it up..some too small so, feedings also consisted of egg yolk. Slowly added some water, after removing waste, to accommodation for loss of water. Am aggravated with self made sponge filter as, it is too big but done quickly. Yet, the fry seem to like being on it. They are also on the moss ball, and seem to really like my thermometer, which is suction cupped to the side. Temp is still 82 degrees and I put a glass cover over the plastic bin. I added some bubble wrap around ends as, our temps dropped and the slider door is close.

There are approximately 12 fry. I know this is low but, I also have a successful spawn so, I know I am doing things right to begin with and will use this as a learning experience.

Dad still taking small fry and moving them. He is now using a piece of plastic wrap that lays in the water, at the corner. Since I see no egg sacs, I am relying on small amounts of egg yolk, brine shrimp for the larger fry, and the infusia that is in the plants and moss balls. Also, since several seem to like the Fluval Intake cover, which I am using as my sponge filter, I am guessing there are nutrients.

Since dad is still tending, taking babies and putting them in safer places, I will leave him in. He is not interested in food but, I did notice him sucking in some brine shrimp for energy. Light is on, 24 hours and, I am sure he is tired. I bet he can't wait to get back to his relaxation tank!

I am still hopeful that I will get some fry from this spawning. I will take whatever God gives me and hope to learn a lot from this first breeding attempt that took.

On a second note, I had introduced col. Mustard to a marble blue plakat, loaded with eggs. She was about to burst. I released them into the second spawning tank and covered it. set up the same as first except, instead of bubble wrap, I used a cut styrofoam cup, soe IAL and added IAL extract for the breeding water. I have several floating plants in there and a moss ball. Will check on that tank tomorrow morning. As of right now, nothing going on but, I introduced them late. Lights go out soon so, hopefully, I see a bubble nest in there tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #6 
Jayloo

I thought I had ten fry when mine began to free swim. Now they are 4 weeks old and there are 30+ fry so don't give up! It's hard to count such tiny things.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #7 
wish4coner

I have been injected egg yolk into the container, but in areas I see the dad hanging out. I moved the heater and, there were more under there. They were smaller though. I also tried some instant bbs and the bigger ones seemed to go at that, when I used an upright-curve medicine dropper. Also, they are feeding a lot on the moss balls so, seem to be doing well. I just cant tell how many! lol

I used a turkey baster to remove some waste this morning and acclimated in some fresh water from a cycled tank with no fish in it (just a couple of snails). They seem to do well when I do that as well.

excited!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #8 
wish4coner

April 25--Day 6 (above date should have read, April 24)--
Some fry easier to see and swimming all over the tub. Dad still attending the smaller fry. Injected a combo of Instant BBS (oceans Nutrition) with egg yolk for all fry (egg yolk for younger), using curved lip medicine dropper. So far, so good. Afraid to move dad out, in the event it is time as, he tends to be less with the fry--some fry too small and afraid to remove them while taking him out. If all goes well, and he seems less attentive to fry, may attempt to remove him tonight. Setting up larger grow out tank tomorrow.

Still unable to count amount of fry. Looks closer to 10 but, still unsure. Will be happy with as many as come out of the first breeding. :)

Col. Mustard (Mustard HM) in with female in other tub. Bubble nest under styrofoam cup but unable to see anything yet. This is day 2 of the breeding for these two fish.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #9 
wish4coner

April 25--Able to see fry well now. At least 15 that I can tell. Still feeding egg yolk with instant bbs. Siphoned out old food again tonight and also rinsed moss balls in the same water. All are active and moving quite a bit. They seem to love a plant that I put in, as well as the thermometer, the heater and close to the homemade sponge filter. I turned light off tonight for the first time. Dad is rehomed into a 2 gallon glass walmart design bowl (craft section), with moss ball and IAL. Everyone doing well.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #10 
TheCrabbyTabby

I really want to see those parents. PICS PLEASE!!!!
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote