Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #1 
BettaJonny

Post New to Bettas as of last night

Hello, I am new to the Betta worls and have questions.
My daughter was given a 1 1/2 gallon tank kit, with pump and filter.
Put the Betta in last night. There is a plastic flower and plant int he tank.
He, Jonny, loves to hide in the tall plant. The plant has no sharp edges and he swims through it a lot. He likes going behind the pump filter thing. There is no heater in the tank but I was told that was ok. I bought the really good pellet food everyone here seems to like, so good choice there!
Jonny swims around a lot. Very pretty fish. Do not know crude about Bettas. I am going to put a water conditioner in the tank tonight. I was told that is suppose to be done. The kit came with a small bottle of it. I am confused because friends who have had Bettas never had heaters but then some on here say you need them. The tank came with a small light. We had that on durning the day then turned it off at night so he would know it was sleep time.
Are we doing anything wrong? Do I need to do something more? Is his tank ok?
Thanks for any advice.
BettaJonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #2 
Chicklet

1 1/2 gallons will work ok, But most here I believe recommend at least a 2 1/2 gallon.
The smaller the tank is the more frequent water changes you will need to do in order to keep your fish healthy and disease free.,
I usually do 25% to 50% water changes every other day for all my small tanks.

As for the filter, You don't need it in that small of a tank,
More harm with it there then good in my opinion.
Get a butterfly with a suction cup attached and hook that up in his tank, Mine likes those to rest on and hide behind.
You can get those at most dollar stores, Or something similar..

A heater is necessary if your temp where you keep him tends to fluctuate,
My main house remains a constant 80, So I don't use heaters, except in the bedrooms,
Betta's like warm temps of 78 - 80

Water conditioners are a must on every water change, Betta's can live without it, But it can shorten there life drastically...

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-14-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #3 
BettaJonny

Thanks.
The tank is in my daughters room on her night stand. I have a wall heater right outside her door. Her room is the warmest in the summer and the winter (due to the heater). Jonny seems to like the plastic plants. But, I am going to keep an eye on that. I was told by a lady at the pet store, who said she has Bettas, that she uses the pump/filter in her small tanks and they work well for not cleaning it so much. Jonny seems to like going behind it. I almost think it massages him because of the humming.
I just want the fish to last as long as I can help it. My daughter already loves it.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

A filter is good to have but not necessary. It just helps to keep the water cleaner.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #5 
Chicklet

If you put the pro's and con's of having a filter in a small tank,
It's more dangerous to your fish with it then without,

A filter puts your fish thru the cycle process which is very hard on a fish and shortens it's life,

Even if you cycle it before you put the fish in it,
You never know when it's going to loose the cycle and start all over again,
and most people don't have or want the added expense of buying the test kits to monitor the situation,

Even with a filter in a small tank,
Simple because water looks clean and healthy, Does not make it clean or healthy.
& I'm sure you want the healthiest fish, So therefore you will need to do frequent water changes,
So why bother with the constant threat of a dangerous cycle over and over again in the first place.
And you will be surprised at how much junk can accumulate at the bottom of a small tank,

All tanks less then 5 gallons can and will loose its cycle, and the smaller you go down the worse the risk of it happening more frequently!

Filters are best for tanks 5 Gallons and higher,

The smaller you go below a 5 gallon the more unstable they become.

I really would not even consider a filter for anything under a 3 gallon Period!
and even at that you should have the test kits to back up the safety of your fish and it's well being.

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-14-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #6 
Chicklet

Filters and small Tanks
Been there, Done that and won't do it again!
& Not worth the worry and extra work evolved in constantly checking the water either,

I thought the same thing on filters being good on every tank,
I learned the hard way and several dead fish before I figured it out.
Filters and small tanks don't mix well.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #7 
onekatietwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
Filters and small Tanks
Been there, Done that and won't do it again!
& Not worth the worry and extra work evolved in constantly checking the water either,

I thought the same thing on filters being good on every tank,
I learned the hard way and several dead fish before I figured it out.
Filters and small tanks don't mix well.
Is there any benefit to running the filter if you're also doing very frequent water changes + gravel vaccuumings?
My filter has a strong current/flow. It's not too bad, my fish doesn't seem to really struggle with it, but he does prefer to stay in once little area (further from the flow) more often when the filter is on. I thought maybe I could turn it on for times when he is less active (when he just hangs out in the corner, anyway) and then turn it off so he'll feel more like swimming around the whole aquarium for half the day.

However, I feel like this might not even be remotely beneficial since part of the filter system is just dependent on active colonies of bacteria (right?) that probably won't thrive with the constant on and off of the water.

But also, it seems like a waste to have a filter that is useless. :(

Haha. I guess I just WANT it to have some benefit.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #8 
JingleAllTheWay

Sounds good! A 1 1/2 gallon tank is fine for a betta.
Water conditioner is an absolute must.
You want your water to stay in the upper 70's, so if it doesn't stay that way for a while than you might want to get a heater.

I have a 1 1/2 gallon tank that came with a small Whisper filter and it works just fine. I've had it for several, several months and I haven't had any problems with my fish. I don't have to change the water very often, because it keeps it so clean in there. I think betta fish are fine with some current. Just because they don't stay right in front of it doesn't mean they don't like it. I have two bettas that have rather strong currents and they both like it.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #9 
Chicklet

Replace the filter with a air stone, My Betta's enjoy those and you can buy valves that allows you to control the flow just the way your betta likes.

That's just it, With small tanks you need to be doing frequent water changes no matter what If you want more healthy and disease free fish, So whats the point of a filter in the first place, it's just adding a danger that's not needed in the first place.

Betta's are tough little nuts, But just because they seem to be surviving doesn't mean it's healthy,
Every little thing contributes to shortening it's life,

Small tanks NEED frequent water changes there's no two ways about it, Filter or not, Your only really fooling yourself to think otherwise.
Because water looks Clean doesn't mean it's clean or healthy.
Do it on a larger scale and you'll quickly see the odds are not in the favor of filters for small tanks.
But I guess thats how we learn thru trial and error..

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-14-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #10 
BettaJonny

Smile

"Chicklet" I have never heard of the cycle process. I am new to fish period. I know if the water looks clean & healthy it doesn't mean it truely is. I was going to clean it every week the 25% or whatever. But really empty it out and clean it once a month. Would that be a good schedule?
What do you mean by a "dangerous cycle"? I have a whisper filter like "JingleAllTheWay" and honestly the darn fish was playing in the currect flow. If you think it is better with no filter/pump thingy, and it will prolong his life?, then I think I might take it out.
What is an Air Stone? Earlier you said get a "butterfly with a suction cup", you mean just a deco piece for fun? Is there a small, inexpensive heater that I should use in a 1 1/2 gallon tank that you would recommend?
Thanks for all the help. I want this fish to be healthy and live long and happy.