Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #1 
salice13

New Betta - Sick

We recently purchased a male betta and brought him home. He wasn't incredibly active after acclimating and being added to the several-month-old tank, replacing a different betta that was moved to a different tank. Since then, however, we've noticed disturbing and worrying behavior (or lack of behavior - he is like a zombie).

He was in a 5.5g filtered tank, heated to between 80 and 82 constantly, with a cory and a small mystery snail. I am not sure he ate anything, but if so, it was a few frozen blood worms one time (He would have had to have eaten them when my back was turned) and maybe a drifting pellet or two. We've tried to feed him every day for the past five days, but have not seen him eat.

After day two, I became concerned by the lack of movement and slight loss of color and quarantined him and the other two betta in the house, for fear of cross-contamination through nets, droppers, etc. He is now back in the cup receiving water changes every 12 to 18 hours with conditioned water (API StressCoat) and the stated dose of API BettaFix (Melaluca, I believe?) in his water each time. His cup remains floating in a heated tank at the above temperature. We have been dosing BettaFix for three days, now.

The water seems to test safe, with a pH of 7 - 7.5. He barely moves, doesn't eat, and floats to the side. He seems a little bloated to me, but it's hard to remember day one versus day five, and we haven't seen him eat anything. Haven't seen any waste in the cup, either. Of note, there was a small tadpole-shaped balloon-looking attachment that was noticed on day three, but it fell off during a water change last night. This morning, there is a fine tendril near the same place the that attachment was. Is it possible he has a parasite of some kind? His colors seem to have dulled and he drifts onto his side at times, but mostly stays at the top, unmoving until the cup is disturbed, and then only barely.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I hate to see the little fellow suffer, and don't know what may help him, but he can't go but so long without food, right?
salice13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry you have a sick Betta, it happens way too often the Bettas at the stores are unhealthy. I would stop the Melafix/Bettafix, it has been reported they are unsafe for a Betta or labrynth type of fish. I would start with Epsom Salt treatments to see if that helps. I usually start with 1 tsp per gallon, predissolved, add 1/2 to the tank then a couple hours later add the other 1/2. If that doesn't seem to help, I will increase to 2 tsp per gallon. IME, a couple days of epsom salts usually solves the problem. IF he has something more serious than swim bladder problems then you will have to use more serious meds.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #3 
salice13

Thank you for the advice. By the vague description, is what we see hanging (the translucent tendril-things) possibly a parasite? One looked like a deflated balloon, but fell off during a water change. The other is thin, but wasn't noticed until this morning. If so, will the salt also treat for this?

Tried to get a good photo of it, but it's so small and thin, it's not showing up well.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

If he is pooing, which it sounds like he is, stringy white then yes I would say he has an internal parasite & you would need meds. Hopefully someone else will chime on a recommendation as I'm not comfortable suggesting which meds to use.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #5 
salice13

Oh, no. He has no waste in the cup at all. He is not eating, so there is nothing to come out.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 
salice13

Thanks for the advice, but it looks like he didn't have the strength to make it. Whatever it was, it's run it's course now. We appreciate the time.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Ahh, I'm sorry.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #8 
isochronism

When I feed my Bettas, I will have their attention and drop one pellet in in front of them with a tweezer. I then know it is eaten and give another, and so on. (mine have no issues and have good appetites) My original Betta has NO interest in freeze-dried anything. I wil try it on my new Betta, Sawyer. Anyway, this way you will be sure if it did eat something or not.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #9 
isochronism

Oops, posted before your new addition. Sorry to hear. You tried!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote