Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #11 
Wildbetta

I have or have had all those types of floaters. The main thing to keep in mind about floating plants is your surface water flow. The majority of them do not like a lot of flow tossing them about. And some HOB filters will push the floaters under the water and then they will get sucked into the intake of the filter. I have never been able to get frogbit, dwarf water, or red root floater to live in my tanks. They all melt or just disappear. Duckweed, salvina, and azolla are easier for me but still I have to fix my water flow so that they can coat the top of the water. My favorite though is the hygroryza aristata. It does get big and likes the light.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #12 
OrangeAugust

Green Myrio! (Petsmart calls it "Frill Plant" and only sells it in their plant tank- not tubes). I'm sure you could buy it online, too.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #13 
Haseo

I want to get a floating plant, but I have a 15gal tall tank. I'm worried about them blocking light to the plants at the bottom.
Haseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #14 
FeatherStone

Rilly - If you're looking for Azolla, I think I know somewhere I can get you some if you dont mind QT'ing it. There's a pond close to where I live where it grows naturally.

I QT'd a handful and its growing in my tank just fine. Been in about a week now (after 3 wks in quarantine with multiple water changes, as well as fluctuating temps and negligence - it was in tupperware on my patio).

Haha, thanks Aokashi for posting that pic, finally figured out what the plant was
FeatherStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #15 
Nothingness

I have hornswort in all 4 of my tanks. I originally bought it as a 3 inch long piece that I have had to continually cut back as it grows rather quickly but I have been able to fill all my tanks with it. My longest strand right now is prob 6 ft long in my 55g.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #16 
Rilly10

Thanks! I actually was able to get some Azolla! It is soooo pretty! What a pain though to do anything in the tank! LOL! It sticks to everything! I also was able to snag some DWL and LOVE it! I think it is my favorite so far. The roots grow so fast and are easily as pretty as the tops! My Salvina on the other hand melted :/
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #17 
Rilly10

OK well I took out the Azolla....what a mess! It was all over everything, shed its roots all over the tank, and half of it died and was just a general mess! I have it outside in a bucket now and will give it to a friend with a koi pond.

I do however LOVE my Dwarf Water Lettuce! <3
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #18 
isochronism

I got nine DWL about 4 months ago for a Fluval V. I would remove the babies (second generation) as they came and put in a separate tank. They are getting big and are crowded and retain the floral form. I know have (third generation) babies from the babies, in a third tank, still small. The original are getting tired and flatten out. They do shed off some leaves, as self pruning. Their roots do get somewhat brown and sloppy, which I clean off. Overall, I really do like these a lot!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #19 
isochronism

Addition: They do like to be crowded together which retains their form.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote