Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #11 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Cuttle bone is very common in the bird section of places like PetCo. I doubt they are nerite eggs. They won't lay in fresh water. IME
Yes they do. They lay in fresh but they won't hatch in fresh. Darn hard to get them off, too. They use super snail glue
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #12 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
I think I've read up on it enough, so I think I'm set! I plan on using my 3 gallon KK, once I get some marine salt to make the water brackish. Hopefully they hatch so I can sell them! I have algae wafers to feed them, and I have a crappy Tetra heater that will at least keep the water warm enough so they don't freeze. Never had a problem with the heater, so I'm sure it'll be fine.
I tried this a few months ago but nothing happened. I used salt for salt water tanks. I read that it's not just salt they need but minerals in the salt water. I had planned to fortify the water with calcium if they hatched. Good luck!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #13 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHhowling View Post
Don't forget to get them a larg peace of cuddle bone. ( you should find it in the turle section) they need the calcium to make there shells!
I'll try to remember that! Thanks for all the help. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Cuttle bone is very common in the bird section of places like PetCo. I doubt they are nerite eggs. They won't lay in fresh water. IME
Does Petsmart have it?

They're definitely nerite eggs. They can't possibly be anything else, since all I have are nerite snails.

I plan on just taking the pot a majority of the eggs are laid on and putting it in the brackish water tank, once I get it set up. I think I'm going to do a bare bottom tank, so I can actually see them. It'll be heated and lit, and I'll get some cuttlebone to put in with them. I have algae wafers too that I can use to feed them, once they hatch.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #14 
Briz

Yes, Petsmart has cuttlebone as well.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #15 
TeteRouge

Oh, yea, lol. I've had olive, zebra, and tiger Nerites in my tanks for 5-6 years. They definitely lay eggs in freshwater, and they are darn near superglued. They won't hatch successfully, tho, in fresh...something about having a larval stage that requires brackish..?

Anyway, good luck with them! It sounds like you've done your research, hope it works for you!
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote