Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Courtship Question

Alright so after the male built his nest and the female was showing signs of wanting to join him I released her. At first everything was going great, they were dancing and chassing and she was even following him but now they both seem tired and are on opposite sides of the tank ignoring each other. Every now and again the male will approch the female but she just swims away and hides. I could have sworn she was ready to breed but now she is acting as if she isn't. He hasn't attacked her or even bitten her so her life isn't in danger. Should I leave them together for a few days or should I pull her and condition her yet again?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #2 
Myates

It's common, especially with virgins. I would leave them in there for a few days and see what happens.

I don't have the patience, so I don't breed in the full 10 gallons as it gives them lots of room to hide and run from each other, it can also be big enough that the female and male can be on opposite sides and sometimes the breeding mindset will go away if they are apart for too long.. then resets.. why it can take a longer time. Experienced fish tend to just get the job done quickly, so a 10g isn't a problem for them.

But give them a few days and see.. not uncommon for pairs to take a week+ to figure out what to do.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #3 
LadyVictorian

After two seconds after you replied Cappy tried embracing under the nest and wrecked it....he's such a derp sometimes I swear. Worst place to put his nest.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It's common for females to stay in hiding once the nipping starts. Often each will stay at different end of the tank and will only approach each other once in a while. As long as she still shows vibrant colors, it should be ok to leave her. Just make sure that the female isn't getting severely beaten up.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

She is still bright and the only rip in her fin she has she gave to herself from flaring too much at first. Cappy is building his nest bigger and bigger but she still ignores him. I admit he's cute, he chases her to the nest and she looks at it then swims away and he goes back to making it bigger, poor guy.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

Now the female wants to breed but Cappy flares at her and chases her away from the nest. I am thinking I need to pull them and recondition AGAIN and try this in a much smaller tank. This guy just doesn't seem to be wanting to breed anymore and is letting his nest fall apart. Not sure if I should just try getting a younger male too. Cappy is about 5 or 6 months old now.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #7 
Myates

That age is fine.. mine are all older than that and have bred without problems. Normal splenden growth is they aren't mature (naturally) until 7-9 months.. the ones you see full size at 3-4 months are from speed growing.. not entirely all that healthy in the long run. So his age isn't playing a factor. But I would try a smaller tank, or even divide that tank up and try it that way.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

Well unfortunatly my nosy family wanting to see my fish breed crashed the tank lid into the tank destroying the bubblenest and all, stunned one of my fish too. I now have to recondition and am starting over using a bucket. I think half the issue is my family members constantly disturbing them and poking at the tank despite me asking to be quiet. Family is now banned from my room until I have a spawn.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Breeding less aggressive/active males in smaller tanks works better. I usually use 30 x 30 x 10cm plastic containers filled with 5cm water. A smaller container that fits into the tank would be better - as Myates suggested, easier to move fry.

Lol. Family sounds like my nephews. Most will be destroyed if there's no supervision.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #10 
LadyVictorian

I'm going to use a bucket 1/4th filled to see if it works better. Both of the fish love to watch stuff outside the tank and I think with people walking around all day they get so easily distrascted when they see things. It does not help they can also watch my rats from the tank that they are in and my rats are always running around. Hopefully without a view of the outside world and less space they will just focus on the job at hand.