Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #1 
sighthound

My first Betta - a question

Hello all.

I have been reading a lot about Betta and their maintenance online for the past 6 weeks or so, but would love your opinions in regards to getting a Betta and whether it is advisable to put in an uncycled tank which is around 68 litres.

I would have thought that with a tank that size, and with regular 25% water changes, that the ammonia would not be too harmful whilst it cycles? Or would that be incorrect?
sighthound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #2 
logisticsguy

You could do it but you would have to be very diligent about water changes with no cycle. You may need to do 2x 50% wc every week and keep the bio load as small as possible.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #3 
sighthound

It would only be the male betta in the tank with real plants etc. I will be monitoring for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Thank you for your helpful reply :)
Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #4 
Kanra Chan

logistics guy has a good point. In a 17gal tank, a small betta can make a huge difference, especially the first time you put him in there.

Small uncycled tanks can be considered better than large ones because of the particles in the water that could react with the fish. In a small tank, because of the amount of water, there is a small reaction.

In a big tank, however, because of the huge amount of water, there may be a huge reaction, and production of things like ammonia and nitrate. This may shock your fish.

As long as you are really diligent with your monitoring, it can be done with peace of mind. It has a lot to do with how you prepare your aquarium. You may want to have a small quarantine tank set aside in case your fish doesn't do well in the big tank right away, as well as for any other emergencies you may run into like sickness or injuries.

Aside from that initial risk factor, I'm sure your little guy is going to love that big tank! The live plant will definitely help keep the water levels stable, too.
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #5 
sighthound

Hi Kanra Chan.

Thank you for your points. Yes, I understand what you are saying. I think perhaps to be on the safe side I should wait and cycle my tank first.

I did have coldwater aquariums for many years but this will be my first tropical fish so I am totally new to this and keeping a beautiful betta.

I love this forum and I'm sure I will be posting a lot when I do eventually get my betta in his new home :)