Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #11 
Lena N

lilnaugrim Thank you lilnaugrim!!! I think this salt defenetly working on fins. Just one day and Blueno's hole on tale desapeared. And it looks like Cherryk is not getting worse but maybe even his fin rot looks better.
I will try to rise temp tomorrow on 86 F, maybe it will kill ick.

There is only one the same white dot on Cherrryk's tale, but I am afraid there are more white dots on Blueno's fin right now. On his body nothing changed the same dots like on photos.
They still swim all day and very hungry. I did not pay much attention at day as to their breazing but while sleeping now they breeze hard.
I checked my camera and unfortunatelly it is not good cam as it doesnt show breazing on video. How they breeze - there gills open and close and mouth opened. They are at temp 84 F now, hope they will survive the night, maybe it is hot...

Made another 50% WC + salt. Checked Ammonia and Nitrites again - 0/0. I am sure it is right as I have two other guys (saved from wallmart) sitting in another tank and they have some ammonia and nitrites. But I make them 50% WC and double Prime dose everyday. Looks like they are happy, make me big bubble nests at nights :). And those do not breath heavy...
PH is pretty high in both tanks but the same. Around 8.2.

Last edited by Lena N; 04-23-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Betta's like the hot weather! So the warm temps are good for them, but of course it's probably not best to keep it at 86 all the time, but while battling an illness this is great!

You may want to get some small pieces of driftwood, either mopani or african. It can help lower your PH naturally to a bit more safer level. It also releases tannins which are beneficial to your Bettas! It may be that they are breathing heavy from the ph but I've never heard of that. It could also be, well this is a bad analogy lol, but like how human's snore? Maybe it's the betta version of snoring haha.

If you decide to get some driftwood for your tanks I can further instruct you on those and how to clean them when the time comes :)

Good for the ammonia and nitrites. Also that white dot that is on Cherryk's tail looks to me like part of his coloration. There is no raised bump like we see on Blueno. But I would continue to treat the entire tank, your plants will be fine. I researched heavily to make sure that they could tolerate higher temps and the salinity. All of which they could, they may not like the salt very much after a while but you should ideally only be using it for about 10 days tops because after that it doesn't help your fish in any way.

I can't remember if I mentioned this or not before but aquarium salt of any kind will eventually damage your Betta's livers when used on a daily basis, your plants will also not like it. So it's best used for situations like this, for curing Ich, Velvet and other parasitic creatures that may find their way into your tank :)

Also it might be helpful that after the 10 day period of using salt to put both of the fish in a quarantine tank and float it in their sides of the tank. You can even use larger gladware plastic bowls as long as they have never seen soap! so buying new ones for this purpose would be great. But Ich cannot survive without a host fish so taking out the hosts would kill off the ich.

The general rule is after you see no more white spots on your fish you should continue treating for a week, I like to do two weeks just to really make sure that there is no Ich left. So after the 10 days, keep them in the QT tanks, floating in the original tank for another 8 days or so. Make sure to change out the water 100% in the little containers so they don't get ammonia poisoning or anything :) Also taking out uneaten food will help the ammonia as well!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #13 
Lena N

lilnaugrim Dear Iilnaugrim, sorry I desapeared. I got sick myself, even missed WC the day before yesterday.
I try to keep temp. 85-86 according to my termometres, but when I do WC it gets a bit colder (82-83). I know there must be no difference but with what I have I can't do the same temp...
Waiting this treatment to finish soon as plants do not seem to like salt.
As to boys, spots on Bleuno's head and body desapeared exapt one spot on his body. That one spot became bigger first and looked like "opened", but today it looks smaller too. Hope it will desapear by tomorrow. Spots on his tale do not want to go away...
They still eat well and getting crazy swimming.

Mybe it is hard to see on photo, but there is a big piece of driftwood in that tank, only I bought it from Petco tank and maybe that is why it doesn't do anything to Ph. It almost doesnt turn water in brown...only for decoration and Anubias...:) I clearned it pretty well though.

Thank you so much for telling how the treatment must be done. I am so greatfull to you for exact steps. Because usually when I do not know what to do I do smth wrong. I am sure they will be ok now.
I will move them to float in small balls after 10 days.

I bought better siphon vacuum, at it is easier to clearn now.

Maybe you could recommend good heater for that easy to regulate and not extreamly expansive?

Thank you very much for your time and your kindness!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You are most welcome Lena! And it's okay, I disappear sometimes too, I hope you get better soon though!

Glad to hear about the fish! And yes, I think getting them into bowls to float in their original tank will be best for them and the plants (So you can continue to use the salt and not hurt your plants) Remember to only use salt for a 14 days max. even I only use it for about 10 days just to be certain.

Ich cannot survive without a host fish either, so taking them out of the infected tank will be good. Remember to do daily water changes once they are in the bowls so you can get rid of any Ich particles that may fall off and so they don't have to swim in their poo!

And for the heater, well...I'm actually looking for one as well haha, so if I happen to find one, I'll definitely tell you about it!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #15 
Lena N

lilnaugrim Dear Lilnaugrim, so you think I can move them already to the flaoating containers? It is not 10 days yet, probably only 5 or 6 days I am doing this salt in whole tank.
Those small jars from Walmart are probably very small? I will go to 99c store to get some bigger plastic dishes today.
As to plants. Should I start changing water in tank for not salt one right away?

As to live plant bulbs, you were right. Only one onion and one Aponogen bulb are growing in the end all other 5 just just roted. I already took them out of tank.

As to heater, my husband bought me not bad heater EHEIM by Jager 24,99$ , it had good reviews. It sells on Amazon. It is hard to operate it though, need to move different rings and arrows, you can adjust how to set needed temperature to your water temp.
I must admitt if you already set the temp, it stays the same. But it is not accurate with reading on heater sometimes, so need to check the temp untill you sure that it is the temp you need. If too hot to go back a little. And after that it keeps the same temp. It took me a while to understand how it works.
I wanted easier one, but if I do not find I might get the same as this one is pretty reliable.
I need another heater for two other guys I saved from walmart I told you. Oh, they are so funny, doing bubble nests all days long. I destroy those nests while changing water, and they start doing them again.( I did not think I would keep them, bought them just to change water and return). But they are just amazing fishes. So happy I kept them. They make me lough all the time.
Though I must admitt I am so tired of WC's, it is so much mess with this water...How do you keep up with 12 of them?
And what do you heat the water for WC with?
Thank you!

Last edited by Lena N; 04-26-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #16 
Lena N

lilnaugrim I wanted to share with you. These are Pistachio and Rudolfio :). They do have small Marina heater in their tank, I was making WC and was heating new water with it at the time of making photos. They sit in 2,5 devided tank and I change them 50% of water every day.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lena N; 04-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #17 
logisticsguy

Ive had great luck using Seachem Paraguard for ecto parasites like Ich velvet as well as fin rot blown fins ect. It is more of an anti septic than a med but does a number on many bad things as it is very broad spectrum. It has also been easier and more effective on my fish than Aq salt treatments and Ive used them side by side to compare.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes that is also true logisticsguy. But the salt was easier because it was on hand if I remember right?

Lena, they are so cute! Is Rudolfio a double veil tail??

Yes you should put them in the containers, float them in their original tank. By doing that it will keep them the same temperature.

When doing a water change I get my water from my sink and so I just move it to the right position. You can also put a thermometer under the running water to get it to the exact temperature that you want it to be.

If you continue you with the salt, remember to not overdose the salt or it gets too much. it's 3 teaspoon per gallon so if you are using bowls that aren't 1 gallon. If you have a 1 gallon bowl or tank or something you can mix up the salt in there and then pour it into the bowls your Betta's will be in.

You can start doing water changes on your bigger tank to start getting rid of the salt so your plants will be happy too. This is why it's always easier to have smaller bowls/tanks around so that you can treat the Betta and not hurt your plants because there are medicines that will hurt your plants too.

Did I miss anything? Oh, I have 15 Betta's now lol. I have 8 girls in my 33 gallon tank, and four boys. I just bought two Baby's as well, I think one is a girl and one is a boy. But I only have 5 tanks actually running. I use a 3 gallon bucket to siphon my water out with and then pour it down the sink, then I refill that bucket and pour it slowly back into the tank. :)
Old 04-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #19 
logisticsguy

Some very good advise by lilnaugrim in this thread. I agree Aq salt best thing when you have it on hand. Just wanted to state that the Paraguard has been very effective for me treating this kinda thing and is a good med to have on hand for a betta keeper. It is also easy on plants and not very harsh on most invertabrae which is important to me because Im plant heavy in all tanks.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Definitely good logistics :) I will also have to invest in some of that when I find some money!

Also a side note, if you are already using AQ salt, don't mix with meds and visa versa. But you can stop one treatment and start another after you do a water change. I did this with my Ich, I started with salt but 33 teaspoons of salt for my 33 gallon fish tank was a bit too much lol so I decided to use Ich Attack because it was easier on my tank and easier for me to dose as well :)