Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #11 
Nataku

I don't know if that would be overstocking your tank or not, and/or making it rather cramped for whichever side the neons end up on (yeah I'd keep the school together, they'll be stressed enough with a betta for company, don't want them feeling vulnerable aka lacking a school and feeling targeted at the same time). It may simply be better to leave the tank undivided and just have a single betta in with the neons.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #12 
IonBaller07

Well it turns out I had to divide it anyway. My betta seemed to be well with the neons, but apparentlyhe was sick with SBD, today hes feeling better and is much more active, but it seems he was to active, he got a little outof control and killed one of the neons, so I had to split them up. Now 4 neons on one side and mean. Betta on the other. Now hes jst chilling on the side of the divider trying to finda way to get to the other side, Im guessing so he can take another one of my little freinds.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #13 
IonBaller07

So I went to Petco to get a gravel sifter thing to change my water, which is harder than it looks. And I happened to see the most beautiful little girl Crowntail betta splended ( thats what the label said, I dont know what that makes it) anyway i picked it up for the other side of the tank, so now on one side I have female betta with 3 neons and a ghost shrimp, and on the other a male betta. Ohh and about 12 newborn ghost shrimp in a fish bowl. The mom had birth the day before she died

Anyway, my male and female were sitting there on each side of the devider flared up and following each other back and forth, he would go to her and she would go to him so it was mutual I guess. But I want to know if they are trying to mate or if they are trying to kill each other.the female has already gone off and continued with her food hunting and other antics but the male is still sitting there waiting for her to come back. Do yo think i will be stresssful for them to sit there and look at each other. theres plenty of room for them to go seperate ways but they dont want to.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #14 
IonBaller07

Well theyve both gone back to their own buisiness now, I didnt know what was going to happen.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #15 
Nataku

So long as they can't physically get to each other they can't mate, whether they'd like to or not. And having just met each other today, and having not been conditioned, their reaction towards each other is probably more one of a "Hey, who the hell are you and why are you here? Go away, this is my space!" than a "Hey there, you look handsome, let's make babies." sort of thing.
They are getting used to each other's presence. It's not unusual, for the first several days they will probably flare at each other quite frequently. I'd only really be worried if they became so aggressive in their flaring that they began striking the divider to a point where they could potentially injure themselves, or if after a week or more they are still flaring at each other nearly continuously. Its an observation game, you'll never really know how any two bettas will get along next to each other until you try it.

Using a gravel vac or any suction tube is a fine art which takes a bit of time to master. Don't worry if you don't get it right the first time, we've all screwed them up before and made a mess with them.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Making a mess with a gravel vac is exactly what I'M worried about.lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #17 
IonBaller07

Hehe, first I couldnt get the water to flow so I had to use the sucking technique. Then I put it in and knocked over 3 of the 4 plants while trying to reach the gravel. I had to stay mainly on the males side to avoid the little neons and ghost shrimp. I think Im just going to change only the water and avoid the gravel until I do a full water change.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #18 
Nataku

Towels are your friend. Lots of 'em. Learn to have dedicated 'tank towels.' Place several around the bucket and one or two near the edge of your tank if there's any real space between it and your bucket. I also generally keep one slung over the shoulder, although this is a holdover from years past in Marine science class where we performed the feat of water changes on all the tanks around the classroom (about forty of them at any given time) in the span of about sixty minutes (the length of each class period). This was generally considered practicing the fine art of controlled chaos, but it will certainly teach you how to throw a towel quick. In time, with practice, you will not need so many towels, but always have one handy just in case, it's just the nature of the business.

IonBaller07 - while being well-versed in the tube-sucking technique is certainly handy for those stubborn or hard to get at tanks, another alternative which is infinitely better tasting is to simply lower as much of the tube (half to three-quarters) of it into the tank as you can, then place your thumb over the end of it to form a seal, and lift the (now-covered) end of the tube back up out of the tank and into the bucket (which should be lower thank the tank so gravity will do all the work) and then release the seal with your thumb. The water will then freely run into the bucket, business as usual.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, I need to get some towels so I don't make a mess. Now, why didn't I think of that before? lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #20 
TianTian

You know, after doing the water change on Tian-Tian's tank I wondered the same thing. :P

I now have a dedicated "tank towel". :D
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote