Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #1 
Valinah

Keeping betta in my home office?

Hi there everyone,

I am new here and I have a BUNCH of questions. I've never owned fish before and I haven't planned on it until my cute little blue guy came into the picture. (Long story as to how I am a betta owner now..)

Anyhoo, currently he is chilling in his little tank (I'm going out tonight to buy a new one thats at least 2.5 gallons) and I'm thinking of where to keep him in the house.

I think the best place would be my home office as we're in there the most so he would see my fiance and I often. The only thought I have though, I am pretty sure the tempature in the office changes when we have both computers running in the office. And with the office being upstairs, heat naturally travels up there. (In the summer time, we keep the A/C on all the time to try to keep it cooler up there)

So basically, do you think that he'll be ok in the office with us if the temperature goes up a few degrees while we're in there with the computers on? I wouldn't keep his tempature normally at the top of the range to begin with, but I want to make sure that the minor fluxuations are ok or not.

My other option is to keep him in my guest room - which we'd see him very rarely or my bathroom, which again, would be another rare occurence. The temperature in those 2 areas wouldn't fluxuate really.

ETA: He currently does not have a heater.

Ugh. Sorry about the novel. I'm wordy.
Valinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #2 
bannlow2471

Welcome, Valinah! My first Betta was/is a blue guy, too ... (the one in my avatar) and he is responsible for my Betta fever! Just watch out ... you will soon be so enamored of your boy that you will want more!

In any case, I think keeping your guy in your home office is a great idea ... they love to watch what you're doing and I think the stimulation is good. I would get a heater as soon as you can, one that has a thermostat that you can program it to the right temperature, and that should take care of it! Enjoy your Betta!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #3 
VJM

I have three office bettas, and my office cools and warms quite a bit. I have an adjustable heater for each, and all their tanks are stable at 79. Your blue fella should be fine.

Just as a sidenote, consider getting a 5 or 10 gallon tank instead of a 2.5. The cycle in my 2.5 is stable, but my boy needs more room. Once his tail grows back, he is getting a 6.5.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #4 
Myates

My two old ones are right next to my computer :) They do better when they can see us (or other fish) most of the time.. plus, when you need a break from work you can play with them and have them chase your pencil (outside the tank of course! lol)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #5 
Otterfun

make sure you have a lid to cut the AC draft, also place the tank away from direct sun-light and any place that the tank will catch a draft.

colder you can use heater to regulate, hotter maybe a chiller if it is really hot, but never place the tank directly in front of AC or a fan.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote