Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #31 
Blue Fish

I was going to rec the brine shrimp, but you've seen that a dozen times now. That being said, when people get to that point of old-age, they just aren't hungry anymore. Their taste buds and sense of smell have dwindled over the years, and they just get sleepier and sleepier. They're not in pain from hunger, they just get really, really tired and they sleep more and more until, at some point, they just don't wake up. Same with horses/dogs/cats, I'd assume just about any animal.

So, I doubt that he's suffering, I think he's just getting to the point where he's ready to fall asleep and not wake up. He's apparently had a fantastic life with you to have lived such a long time, and he's ready to swim home. :)

And I completely agree with Ayala, there is no such thing as "just a fish" or "just a dog" or JUST anything. They are living, breathing, thinking, feeling creatures, and they are loved and love in return. That is not JUST anything, any more than a life is JUST a bunch of chemical processes. Anytime there is love and care shared between two creatures, that is a special, special thing, and it is valuable and very hard to lose. There should NEVER be any shame in feeling for a creature, not ever. This is what makes us whole.

I know that he knows that you are with him, allowing him to go in his own time and caring about him for every minute that he continues on. I wouldn't euthanize him at this point, he's ready to go, he's just got to figure out how.

Thoughts and prayers and internet hugs for you. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #32 
percyfyshshelley

Blue Fish, what you posted was just beautiful. It literally brought a tear to my eye.
Mo, it sounds like you are doing the best possible job you can keeping the little guy comfortable in his final days. No fish could ask for a better human friend. And you definately found the right place to talk about him all you need to. My faith in humanity is restored daily by the compassion I see on this forum.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #33 
Corsica

What a good, long run he has had! I hope that whatever time you have left together is good, and that whenever it is his time to go that it is a peaceful journey. You are both in my thoughts!
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #34 
MoBetta

Thanks! Poor little guy is a trooper.
MoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #35 
Jexx

We love to hear about him and will never grow tired of it. Nevis such a lucky guy to have you. Just keep him comfy and spoil him as much as you can. Enjoy your time with him. He wants to stick around and be with you :)
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #36 
MoBetta

Astonishingly he lives on. I found he will eat Hikari betta bio gold now. I try to get him to eat a tiny ball or two every time. Sort of struggles to find it but in that tiny aquarium it's easier. It has a pump and un impressive filter but I change a third of the water very day. I don't think he could go back to the big aquarium. Nobody thought he was ready to go and gesture seems to want to stick around. I am happy to have him around, love his little red fins swimming now and then too. Wish I could figure out how to post a pic!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #37 
bannlow2471

Wow, that is awesome! I have been wondering how he was doing but was afraid to ask for an update in case the news was not good. I hope you'll keep us posted. Obviously none of us are getting any younger, but it's amazing to see that with a few modifications in his living situation, he has been able to adapt. He's lucky to have you!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #38 
MoBetta

Thanks. What Blue Fish said too, helped me, so much. I am enjoying my last days with my pal and making them as good for him as I can.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #39 
lovemyfish99

MoBetta, what they said. Again and again, we have to defend our emotions and respect for the unfluffy and the uncuddly creatures of this world.

12 years ago, I was crying every day because the fish in my new pond were dying, because I didn't understand how to keep them. I euthanized, I buried, and even had popsicle stick markers. Ya, it was that bad. But my first koi rescue, Shiro, who survived my brutal learning curve, is still alive and at age 15 is 24"

Nevis has had a good run, better than most, and you should be proud of the excellent care you provided for him. Enjoy his last days, for he is fortunate enough to pass from old age, which is rare for our wet pets.
lovemyfish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #40 
percyfyshshelley

Amazing fish! He is so lucky to have you as his keeper. I had been wodering if he was still alive. I'm glad he is, and is living out his days with such good care.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote