Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 
BlueBettaSplendensLover

My Betta Setup! Tell me what you think!

Hey guys! I just wanted to share a photo of my betta in his tank. He is a blue veiltail and he actually likes me and swims to the front and greets me when I walk in the room. My red veiltail gets mad when he sees me for some reason, and he's not an especially nice fish lol. Here's a photo of my blue male's tank. He lives in a critter keeper with aquarium marbles as the substrate with two soft plants. Tell me what you think!

BlueBettaSplendensLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #2 
Agent13
Reference Team

It'll do I think. Be very vigilant about water changes in there. I think thats the same critter keeper I have for one of my dragons live foods. Is there at least 1 gallon in there? However I do like your plant colors :)
And my daughters Marble half moon is the same way! he is so friendly and interactive. I love him.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It will do, but you really need a small heater. How big is the tank (gallons)?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #4 
BlueBettaSplendensLover

@MattsBettas

His water is 83 degrees right now and I don't even have a heater. That's definitely warm enough for a betta. I keep him in the warmest room in my house though, because I have 2 lizards with warm heat lamps in there. I believe it usually doesn't even get too cold in the winter, but maybe in the lower 70's I think. Thanks though. I do not know what the gallons are, but I know it is enough water for him. He's a happy lil guy.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #5 
jesssan2442

it looks kinda small so maybe an upgrade would be a good idea!! craigslist and thrift stores are always good places to get cheap tanks!!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just be careful with the plastic plants, they can catch Betta's fins and tear them which isn't good! I suggest getting some really nice soft silk plants, they are a little more expensive but they are worth it :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #7 
Tonksy

It's pretty cute!

Building off what lilnaugrim said about the plants,

definitely get decor that won't snag that guy's fins.

what I've found works really well is buying the rounded-leafed fake plants that don't have a sinker (the ones that usually float to the top if they're not buried under gravel and are really annoying) and use tank-safe silicone to secure stones to them so they sink. [This is what I did since I find the options at my LPS so limited.]

The critter keeper looks a little small as well. Try and nab one that is at least 1.5 gallons or more. :)
Tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #8 
Agent13
Reference Team

Oh yes! Herp rooms have a very warm ambient temp. I have a bearded dragon and know all about those crazy hot temps on their basking side you need(105f!). I actually didn't need a heater for Wally while he was in his 2 gallon temp home because he was next to the dragon. However now at 4 gallons and away from the dragon he needs the heater for when the lights are off. Just make sure that he has at least 1 gallon in there. The more the better but at least he is happy :)
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #9 
BlueBettaSplendensLover

Thanks @Tonksy and everyone else. I apreciate all of your reply's. I'll probably get him a 3 gallon in a couple months. Do any of you recommend a certain type of tank?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #10 
isochronism

In regards to the plastic plants, you can be surprised what can easily damage fins. My BIG boy (VT) had Najas Grass in his tank, which came to me as a tiny piece in with shrimp. It grows like crazy, self roots, etc. He loved to swim around and through it. Even tho I would trim it often, I luckily caught sight of him with his tail caught... and he could not get to the surface. Gave us both a scare!!! His tail got torn up. Najas was removed immediately and his tail healed in a day or two. Whew!!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, betta, marble, tank