Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #11 
wish4coner

Ocean's Nutrition has a jar of them (of course, they are not living) that you just mix with water. It goes a long way and has a long shelf life. I take water from the tank, mix it and use a medicine dropper with a curved lip to introduce it. However, they do sink faster than I liked. I stopped using it because I kept reading about swim bladder. First breed so, I am a little overly nervous. The live mw seems to stay at the top of the water and I see the fry swimming towards it. With the medicine dropper, it scared them.
Only reason I dont do live bbs is because, I live in a townhome and have autistic children. I was envisioning a mess when they saw a bottle with things floating :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #12 
Laurenie

Wow, wasn't even aware that existed lol. I actually have my B.S. in Applied Behavior Analysis and specialize in working with children with autism/related disorders who also have severe aggressive behaviors (sometimes SIB, more usually directed towards others). Was something I really fell into very randomly, I agreed to fill in as a short-term sub when there was a shortage of assistants for ESY one year when I was 19 which quickly turned into full-time for the entire summer which in turn led to a full-time position in a middle school sped classroom, online and evening college courses, jobs in the private as well as public sector, and then developing and implementing in-home programs. So ANYWAY lol, I can definitely relate to any apprehensions you might have regarding possible issues there--although I think a live BBS hatchery in the previously mentioned soda bottle would actually be a much more viable possibility than it may seem. It actually takes up very little space and the BBS won't actually be visible at all--water with an airstone making lots of bubbles is all it looks like lol.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #13 
Myates

Are you meaning this? It has a 6 week shelf life, whereas the BBS you hatch on your own a jar can last well over a year in the fridge..

It is good for 2 or 3 spawns going at the same time, but if you have just one spawn at a time, it really isn't worth the money, IMO. I had considered trying it out.. would be good for a try, but I would learn and get a BBS hatchery up though as well.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #14 
wish4coner

Yep, that's it. I actually bought it as, I had two going at the same time but one did not take--due to my learning mistakes. However, I do have a second jar, which has a very long shelf like and will use that if the need arises.

I think I might stick with the worms. It's easy to keep cultures going, and I just ordered banana and walter worms. I feed my fish mosquito larvae and flightless fruit flies and they seem to do good on that. The cultures are so easy to grow, I don't need a tank or more electricity. Dollar store sells boxes of oatmeal for 1.00 and I can get a full box of yeast packets for 2.00. But, I guess it's preference for each. Plus, I don't have to worry about my daughter deciding to try and take a big swig of bbs :)
Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #15 
veggiegirl

Yes I was thinking of using the ready to go BBS if I decided to breed because it just seemed easier than having to hatch your own. They do last for six weeks in the fridge but are pretty pricey here. So where on earth do you get the tiny worms for feeding the really young baby bettas? I think I saw some cultures on ebay once but not sure if they were in Australia or not as they would likely not get through customs if not. Are the worms hard to keep alive? Also how often should you change the water in fry tanks? What is a good size tank to grow one spawn out in to ensure they do not get stunted growth? Sorry for all the questions, have had bettas for approx 10 years but never bred them and it is something I would like to consider in the future. Also when the males get to jarring age how do you go about heating them all?
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #16 
wish4coner

I get everything off of ebay..cheaper. I got two instant BBS for the price of one sold online at stores. Same with the microworms. I get them off of someone that does starter cultures, and then gives you instructions on doing your own. So, I'm set on those, once I receive the rest. And, in this house, plastic containers are EVERYWHERE. :)
I also do searches on ebay for the "bad spelling". You find things cheaper when they list something that is not spelled correctly. :)
I've also used amazon but, not crazy about prices, vs. ebay.
I would like to try aquabid for my next set of breeding pairs but, there are so many sales and, I don't know which breeders are reputable and which are not. I go by the feedback on ebay, and read each write up in detail before I bid with them, or buy it now.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #17 
veggiegirl

Oh okay, ebay is the only place I have seen starter culture for sale. I too would love to buy from Aquabid, getting a fish from overseas seems a big ordeal......I also don't really understand all the expenses for example some breeders say $5 for shipping but it must cost much more than that to get a fish from Thailand to Austrlia? Hope I am brave enough to give it a go oneday though, seriously there would be no stopping me then! Think I would end up with 100 bettas and find it pretty impossible to stop even with that many!!!!!!!!!!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #18 
trilobite

Theres probably some people in oz who can give you some microworms. I think theres an australian betta forum (ausaqua I think) where you could ask for a culture. They are pretty easy to keep alive, I just occasionally drop in bits of damp weet bix and sometimes they get porridge.

Grow out size depends on spawn size but roughly 70-150L is safe. The bigger the better though. You can use smaller ones but that means lots and lots of big water changes.
I start water changes after 2 weeks, then I try to do it every day. At least every second day

To heat the males I just put them into bottles with holes in them. The bottles are placed into a filtered, heated tub so they get water circulation and warmth.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #19 
wish4coner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
Theres probably some people in oz who can give you some microworms. I think theres an australian betta forum (ausaqua I think) where you could ask for a culture. They are pretty easy to keep alive, I just occasionally drop in bits of damp weet bix and sometimes they get porridge.

Grow out size depends on spawn size but roughly 70-150L is safe. The bigger the better though. You can use smaller ones but that means lots and lots of big water changes.
I start water changes after 2 weeks, then I try to do it every day. At least every second day

To heat the males I just put them into bottles with holes in them. The bottles are placed into a filtered, heated tub so they get water circulation and warmth.
Wow, that is a great idea! I have 4 males, now in glass 2 gallon or so bowls, and each have a small heater. I like that idea better. Do you use cut plastic bottles, like with soda?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #20 
trilobite

Yeah just soda bottles with the top cut off and small holes in the sides. Careful about making the holes too big through, youll be surprised at the size of things they manage to fit through haha
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote