Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #11 
bellasia

Hi

Valentinos fins still dont seem to be improving ive posted a recent pic, is it finrot (there are no black edges to his fins) and if so should i medicate i dont want to unless needed. Hes still active and eating ive increased water changes to twice a week and am adding vitachem and stresscoat and have IAL. Water parameters are fine took most of his decorations out that could have been damaging his fins, filter is baffled with pantyhose i have two live plants and 1 silk any ideas?
Attached Images

bellasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #12 
bellasia

Anyone?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #13 
bellasia

Just want his fins to get back to how they were, really in two minds as to whether i need to medicate i lost Blaze my crowntail last year after prob over medicating dont want to make same mistake again.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #14 
fiky95

Awww I'm so sorry, it's obvious you are doing all you can! I've been kind of spying on this thread since you started and can't get my mind around it... I mean could he possibly reach all those fins and bite them? It looks like you are doing everything right... Is he acting his usual self other than the fin demage? Really hope he'll get better and somebody on here is possibly going to help you. xxx
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #15 
bellasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiky95 View Post
Awww I'm so sorry, it's obvious you are doing all you can! I've been kind of spying on this thread since you started and can't get my mind around it... I mean could he possibly reach all those fins and bite them? It looks like you are doing everything right... Is he acting his usual self other than the fin demage? Really hope he'll get better and somebody on here is possibly going to help you. xxx
I just dont understand why he dosn't seem to be healing, and if its not tailbiting and its finrot how could he have got it when water paramters are all good and im doing frequent water changes, slightly confused and worried. Hes eating and active, he had such beautiful fins before all this. Thanx i really hope so
Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #16 
fiky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasia View Post
I just dont understand why he dosn't seem to be healing, and if its not tailbiting and its finrot how could he have got it when water paramters are all good and im doing frequent water changes, slightly confused and worried. Hes eating and active, he had such beautiful fins before all this. Thanx i really hope so
Exactly, this is what I simply can't quite understand! I mean your water parameters are great, temperature is perfect, you use IAL, Stress Coat AND Vitachem, you feed him good quality food... Literally, since you posted about the issue, I've been going: "Why do this poor girl and that adorable fish have to suffer?" every single time I see an update, because it's seriously unfair. I guess as long as he's at least healthy other than this and it's not getting dramatically worse, it's a good sign.
There is this Czech "all natural" company that makes Aloe Gel specifically for bettas and quite a few people here really swear by it as an alternative to the API stress coat. It's quite hard to get and I haven't tried it myself yet. I am planning to tho, because of my little tail biting buddy...
Anyway, really hope you'll find a way around it.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #17 
bellasia

Quote:
Exactly, this is what I simply can't quite understand! I mean your water parameters are great, temperature is perfect, you use IAL, Stress Coat AND Vitachem, you feed him good quality food... Literally, since you posted about the issue, I've been going: "Why do this poor girl and that adorable fish have to suffer?" every single time I see an update, because it's seriously unfair. I guess as long as he's at least healthy other than this and it's not getting dramatically worse, it's a good sign.
There is this Czech "all natural" company that makes Aloe Gel specifically for bettas and quite a few people here really swear by it as an alternative to the API stress coat. It's quite hard to get and I haven't tried it myself yet. I am planning to tho, because of my little tail biting buddy...
Anyway, really hope you'll find a way around it.
Guess i will have to see how he goes and maybe consider a salt treatment or meds if things dont improve, but i dont want to unless its really needed. Ah you have a tailbiter they love to give us stress lol, its difficult to get stuff as i live in the UK i managed to get seachem Kanaplex just in case i have to go down the meds route but i really would prefer not to. Thanx for replying I guess every1 else must be just as confused as i am
Old 04-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #18 
fiky95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasia View Post
Guess i will have to see how he goes and maybe consider a salt treatment or meds if things dont improve, but i dont want to unless its really needed. Ah you have a tailbiter they love to give us stress lol, its difficult to get stuff as i live in the UK i managed to get seachem Kanaplex just in case i have to go down the meds route but i really would prefer not to. Thanx for replying I guess every1 else must be just as confused as i am
Definitely, otherwise somebody would surely answer to you asap.

They do, don't they! He hasn't bitten himself for a few weeks now tho, so fingers crossed... He had a really bad affair last month when I went to Manchester tho.

Tell me about it! Being from the Czech Republic, it's even worse. I can pretty much only get Sera and Tetra from the international brands.

Of course! :) I'm not any help anyway, sadly.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #19 
Lena N

If he likes to be under/near filter flow it could be the reason why it doesn't improve so fast. When I placed one of my Betta to tank with Whisper filter he just was costantly jumping under filter (where it soacks water), it seamed he liked it. And next day all his fins were shreded. Maybe he like to be under flow because he had ick as I am treating my Betta's from it right now (with aquarium salt). And now the same Betta is in Fluval tank and there is different tipe of filter, so though he can sleep on leaves he choses to sleep to be sucked to the filter holes at night. And all flow filters through his tale...So his fins and tale do not improve at all because of this. What I see not that if Betta it is hiperactiveit is harder to heal fin rot.
Though I think you should give him some treatment if he will looks worse. Someone recommended me
Seachem. ParaGuard

it could be good to treat rot too. Search for infor about it if you like it or not, I still use aquarium salt as treatment as there is no ParaGuard in nearby stores...Just looked that you are from U.K. Probably there is no ParaGuard.

Hope your guy will get well soon!
p.s. My water parametres are good to except high ph

Last edited by Lena N; 04-26-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #20 
bellasia

Quote:
Definitely, otherwise somebody would surely answer to you asap.

They do, don't they! He hasn't bitten himself for a few weeks now tho, so fingers crossed... He had a really bad affair last month when I went to Manchester tho.

Tell me about it! Being from the Czech Republic, it's even worse. I can pretty much only get Sera and Tetra from the international brands.

Of course! :) I'm not any help anyway, sadly.
I caught him biting today thats the first time ive ever seen him do it, you have been a help in that you took the time out to respond i have to order everything online as there isn't even a pet shop where i live