Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #31 
Roemgie

Hey again!!

So I just wanted to say that Opal is doing 100% better! All because I gave them blood worms!

I had been feeding them New Life Spectrum pellets and Omega 3 pellets and kept forgetting to pull out my frozen bloodworms until yesterday and yesterday evening Opal was swimming normally again and today she's back to her regular self :) I'm so happy!

But anywho I hope you've found some good information about keeping your sorority!! And let us know how it goes :)
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #32 
bannlow2471

Wanted to post an update to this thread. Earlier this week on Tuesday I had gone to Petco just to check out what was going on (didn't buy anything) and noticed a little pale orange crowntail girl not much bigger than a fry and still with that baby look to her through the eyes. Total doll! However, I resisted. I went back every day this week and she was always there and just as cute but I kept holding off. Finally today I went back and she was still there. Now, that same Tuesday night I went to Walmart and got another 10 gallon kit and got it set up with Quickstart and some live plants. I wasn't really sure why I was even doing it I just felt like I wanted to. Long story short I ended up bringing home the little orange girl whose name is Clementine. But when I went in they unexpectedly had all of these other young females which I have never seen them have before. I immediately fell in love with three of them and I actually ended up spending over an hour in the store trying to decide what to do. Should I shouldn't I ... I kept going back and forth. I ended up coming home with Clementine and one other little veiltail girl who I think is a marble. Very pretty! After a lot of back-and-forth I ended up leaving the other girls there but all my night I've been thinking about going back first thing in the morning when they open and getting the others. They all seem quite young and like they would be good sorority material. Since they all came in on the same day it appears they are from the same breeder or shipment and all appear to be about the same age.

I just really can't seem to make up my mind and I need all of you experienced sorority keepers to weigh in. If I did this I would be leaving Suma and Aurora my two crowntail girls who are currently in a divided 10 gallon exactly where they are. They are happy and settled where they are and I see no need to rock the boat.

Any and all in input is appreciated and will be giving due consideration. I really do feel like maybe this is a sign to go for it but on the other hand I am still a little bit nervous. I just don't want anyone to get hurt. I know there will likely be some minor fin damage etc. and I am prepared for that but if anyone was seriously injured or killed I would be devastated.

Last edited by bannlow2471; 04-27-2013 at 12:46 AM.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #33 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I feel like you should do it! I love my sorority and it's been a great experience! I feel like if they came from the same breeder then you have a much higher chance of everything going very well! I know the 6 of my sisters get a long very well, and so far only one ripped fin out of the week and a half I've had them in! I'll be adding in two more girls soon once my Ich scare is gone.

A 10 gallon would be great for them too, just plenty of plants and you're good to go! I'll start chanting now....do it, do it, do it, do it, do it! lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #34 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I feel like you should do it! I love my sorority and it's been a great experience! I feel like if they came from the same breeder then you have a much higher chance of everything going very well! I know the 6 of my sisters get a long very well, and so far only one ripped fin out of the week and a half I've had them in! I'll be adding in two more girls soon once my Ich scare is gone.

A 10 gallon would be great for them too, just plenty of plants and you're good to go! I'll start chanting now....do it, do it, do it, do it, do it! lol
Well I'm glad to hear you say that because I did it. Got up this morning and was over at store by about 9:15 and came home with three beautiful girls. A pale blue with a greyish head, a teal blue/green with a blackish head and a beautiful red, all veiltails. However I've been sitting here observing them and I'm 99% sure that she is actually a young male. Very pointy, longer fins than the others, and a very feisty attitude. The behavior and the look remind me greatly of Chai Son and so I'm now on my way back to the store. There were a few other girls there so I will find another. LOL!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #35 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Awesome! Glad you did :D

Yeah I've taken home a few "females" who turned to be males haha Can't wait to see everyone!
Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #36 
bannlow2471

So I am the ultimate coward. As I sat there this morning with my one red girl who turned out to be a boy, I just got the worst feeling like I was making a huge mistake. So when I took the boy back, I took the blue girls back as well. I feel ridiculous but I just couldn't bring myself to go through with it. I kept thinking about how I would feel if something happened to one of them. So I have the girls I got last night, my other two crowntail girls, and my two boys and that is it! I'm done!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement but I just don't think a sorority is for me ... at least not until I get some more experience under my belt.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #37 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww that's okay! If you're not ready, then you're not ready. No need to be sorry about that :) Someday though, you'll give some nice girls a deserving home!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #38 
Picasso84

^ +1 ^ I am the same as u bannlow2471, I definitely want a sorority.... one day... But I would like more experience too, I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt either :( that would break my heart! So, as lilnaugrim said, there is absolutely no reason to be sorry!

But.... I would like to see pics of ur new babies! :) They sound sooo cute! (I love the name clementine! :)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #39 
bannlow2471

New girls

Thanks, Picasso.

Here are the two new girls:

Bettina (VT) is doing very well. She's the FASTEST swimmer I've ever seen, and just zips around full-time, into everything, very curious and interactive, eats from my hand, etc. Poor Clementine (CT) is not doing well. I thought initially she might be blind, and perhaps she is, but she really isn't eating much at all. I've tried SeaChem Garlic Guard, I've tried different pellets (Hikari and NLS, plus Omega One flakes, I've tried brine and mysis shrimp, frozen beef heart, blood worms, etc. Nothing really gets her interested, and because water params are good I don't know what to attribute her poor appetite to, but after over a week you would think she would be over the stress of the acclimation. I'm very concerned, and have found an aquatic vet here locally and am waiting for a call back from them. I hope there's something I can do to help her - it's very sad.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #40 
Picasso84

Aww... They r such pretty girls! They look so little! :) Bettina sounds so so so cute, LOVE that personality!! :) I am so sorry to hear about Clementine! I will keep her in my thoughts & prayers, & our fingers/paws & fins all crossed for her!! I wish I had more advice for you & her, not a whole lot of experience here, but what I can offer, (what I do with one of my boys who is blind) is that when u put pellets on the water's surface, try blowing on the surface of the water so the pellets move across the water, ~that gets my blind guy Titan's interest, b/c he can see them when they move... Just don't blow them too fast... Cuz if she is blind, then she will need to catch them, also the bigger the pellets the better (I use the Omega One Pellets) And avoid corners lol they get stuck... And I probably drop like 10 pellets in, b/c some sink when I blow on them, and some sink when he goes for them (I just keep the bottom of his tank basically bare ~a few large pebbles on the bottom~ but nothing else, so I can easily see to clean up after feeding him) If memory serves, he took close to a week before he ate (wanna say 4-5 maybe 6 days), cuz it took me awhile to confirm his blindness, and then figure out a way to feed him... Tried garlic juice too, he couldn't have been less interested in that (my other guy too). One thing I have noticed is that his sight seems to have improved since I've had him, (after a month, I noticed he seemed to have gotten somewhat better) I think clean water, IAL, and good quality food must help, so u r def on the right track! Good luck! I'm rooting for her! And you too! :)

It is weird, ive heard about garlic "wetting" their appetite -so to speak- but neither of my boys wanted anything to do with garlic juice.... One thing, don't kno if u tried these, but my boys LOVE (did I say LOVE?) mosquito larvae (glassworms) Dijon will lunge/ attack at the dropper till I squirt the worm out, it's soo funny, and Titan can def smell them.. Have to have one worm hang out of the eye dropper somewhat, and have some of the 'juices' leak out, but he can find the dropper

Sorry for the long-winded reply! Lol
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote